• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the correct spare tire holder for a '66 Bronco?

JMC

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place or wrong way to ask....newbie here. Just got my first Bronco project, and I have SOoooooo many questions. Will try not to wear out my welcome with them all;)

But what's the correct spare tire carrier for a '66 U13? Mine came with one of the giant side-mounted swing arm style tire carriers, but mostly I've been seeing the simple mount that attaches to the inside of the tailgate. I'd much rather convert to that style (less obtrusive and you don't have to swing out the carrier every time you want to open the tailgate). But I also want to be true to the origins of the truck. If that's the one it's supposed to have, then it stays.

And then that might lead to two more questions (I warned you, sorry)....

1. anyone know a source for the inside tailgate holder? Have't seen them at LMC or JBG
2. Should I trash the swing style holder, or would anyone want it. Will post it in one of the 'for sale' forums if it's something that might be useful to someone else.

Thanks for providing such a great resource for me.....you've answered hundreds of silly questions already by searching through this archive.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Cool, then off it comes! And thanks for the link too!

Thank you so much for the welcome and the help. I will definitely get some pics loaded up soon. Right now it's a sad rusty mess but I'm taking it one bite at a time.

k7grc

Loc.
Banks, OR
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place or wrong way to ask....newbie here. Just got my first Bronco project, and I have SOoooooo many questions. Will try not to wear out my welcome with them all;)

But what's the correct spare tire carrier for a '66 U13? Mine came with one of the giant side-mounted swing arm style tire carriers, but mostly I've been seeing the simple mount that attaches to the inside of the tailgate. I'd much rather convert to that style (less obtrusive and you don't have to swing out the carrier every time you want to open the tailgate). But I also want to be true to the origins of the truck. If that's the one it's supposed to have, then it stays.

And then that might lead to two more questions (I warned you, sorry)....

1. anyone know a source for the inside tailgate holder? Have't seen them at LMC or JBG
2. Should I trash the swing style holder, or would anyone want it. Will post it in one of the 'for sale' forums if it's something that might be useful to someone else.

Thanks for providing such a great resource for me.....you've answered hundreds of silly questions already by searching through this archive.

Bulk head or tailgate is only mounts shown for 66.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Since your a newby. & You have a 66. DON'T THROW anything away from a 66. That stuff is golden. You may just have a 66 But someone out here is looking for your side view mirrors ..$600.00 & Other 66 stuff is valuable also.
... My Running Buddy has a 66 But he has converted his to about every year there is . Not much 66 left.

OP
OP
J

JMC

tire_zpsl98qso4s.jpg
[/URL][/QUOTE]

Ah neat image...is that from an owners manual? Gotta find one if so. I have a Prelim Shop Manual but still need that.

I wish I had a bulkhead but it's a U13 with bucket seat and a rear bench seat. So I think the tailgate route is the way to go. Will check into the one posted....thanks!