• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the difference?

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
What is the difference between the Ebay 8" brake booster kit for $180.00 and one from one of the Bronco vendors that range from $300.00 to $400.00? Is it worth it for a certain reason to buy from the vendor?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
the only difference I see is the master.
e-bay - Wilwood "style" master 187.68
CJ Pony - Bendix "style" master 369.00
WH - Heavy Duty Master 369.00

All are dual diaphragm 8" booster and black powder coated bracket with hardware.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
the only difference I see is the master.
e-bay - Wilwood "style" master 187.68
CJ Pony - Bendix "style" master 369.00
WH - Heavy Duty Master 369.00

All are dual diaphragm 8" booster and black powder coated bracket with hardware.
Does the master cylinder style make one better than the other?

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Good question. I have had the best luck and reliability going with stock parts. So my booster and master are stock.
I'm going to be upgrading to disc up front, wanted more stopping power. I myself am a fan of stock parts as much as possible.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'm going to be upgrading to disc up front, wanted more stopping power. I myself am a fan of stock parts as much as possible.
Nice! You won't regret that for sure. I did the disk upgrade 20 years ago and it's still the best upgrade I've done. I added the booster shortly after that. I happen to come across a used booster and bracket locally and just purchased a master for a '76 from Napa and called it a day. Still running these parts 20 years later.

People say Hydroboost is far superior and they are probably right. I'm sticking with the vacuum booster as it works fine for me with my 33's.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
A member sent me a bracket and 8" booster. I could just buy a new MC to add to it. I wonder how you tell if the booster is good?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I've never bench tested one but imagine with a vacuum pump you could find out if it has a leak.... Mines been good for ever and that's being a stock unit so not sure how often they fail. I say install it and check if your idle goes up when connected (not good). Easy enough to swap a new one in if yours is bad.