• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's this Pinto worth?

TCRIMSONK

I know it doesn't sound bronco related, but it really is. I'm thinking of replacing my busted '90 FullSizeBronco with a '79 Pinto. It sounds crazy, but let me explain...

The Pinto is sitting on the frame of a '66 Bronco. it's got a manual 3 speed, I guess whatever the stock axles were, and some kind of I6 engine.

This is all riding on a set of 33" Trxus M/Ts.

The pinto has about 74,000 miles on it, and aside from a little rust at the front of the hood, seems to be perfect inside and out.

The drivetrain runs great, or so I'm told.

The beauty of this is, in Maryland, I can get Historic Tags for any vehicle that's over 25 years old. That means that this vehicle will never be inspected, for safety, or emissions. So it shouldn't be difficult to tag. It's titled as a Pinto, so I don't think insurance will be too bad either.

The problem is, the pinto/bronco/whatever is 2 to 3 hours from me, and I don't want to make the trip, just to find something unexpected, and have to turn it down.

So does anybody have any clue what something like this should be worth? I spoke to the seller on the phone, and he seems to know his suff. He says he had it on the road for about a year, the tags expired a year ago, and he hasn't driven it at all in about 3 months.

Here are some pics:

45_1_b.JPG

cb_1.JPG

5e_1.JPG

83_1.JPG

6c_1.JPG

fb_1.JPG

0a_1.JPG

97_1.JPG

52_1.JPG

Any idea what it might be worth? Can anybody identify the engine? Is there anything else that I need to ask about this, before I make the long drive to check it out? He said that for the right price, he could have it together well enough for me to drive home. I think the only work it needs are hooking up the brake lines, and the clutch slave cylinder, all of which he has.

Thanks guys! If I get this, I'll probly take the tags off my FSB, and try to fix it in my spare time.

kev249

Loc.
Bayville
Hey is that rig in Toms River,NJ..??? I'm about 3 hours from Maryland too. If its the same one I'll go look at it for you if you want. There's a guy that used to drive one just like that here. I would see it in his yard all the time. Didn't drive it much and was parked on the side of his house for awhile but I haven't seen it lately..
I wonder if that was a popular swap. The wheel base looks like they are close.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
i dunno about that one. you better be super sure that you can title it and register it and it will pass an inspection before you think too seriously. aslo some of those swaps can be, (oh whats the polite word?) exciting to drive.

70bucks

Loc.
Valley Center SOCAL
Insurance shouldn't be different than a Bronco bodied Bronco except for replacement cost. Less replacement cost = less cash if you total it. AAA sees my bronco as a wagon anyway. I would base value as if it were a part out. JM2C.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
You could this one instead. It's much cooler with the bronco grill. ;D

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 116

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
If the mechanical is good, buy it, and then swap a bronco body back on it, and have a real truck! In all seriousness...make sure the details are worked out, ie. inspections, insurance, and all of that. It would be a shame if you did make the trip and fork out the money, and then it has to sit. In my area we have "aircare"...it's an emission's test for all cars...well broncos have a hard time passing sometimes, and there are lots of people with old cars who just pour money into them trying to get them through aircare...and they just get fed up, are now broke, and they can't even insure and drive the damn car!! so beware... :) good luck!

U

Unregistered

well inspection shouldnt be a problem because in Maryland, you can put Historic tags on anything that's over 25 years old, and it will never have to pass safety, or emissions inspections.

It's titled as a Pinto, so that's how it's gonna have to be insured. it would be liability only, so I dont think that would be a problem.

But what do you think it might be worth, considering that I can get it tagged? around here, 25 is the magic number. if you want something to play with, or go wheelin with, a classic is the way to go, just so you don't have to pass inspection.

Loc.
Speedwell TN
i'd be hard pressed to give 500 bucks for it. the only real value lies in the tires, frame and nine inch. after you gutted it thats what would be left.~bill

Eoth

Bronco Guru
As mentioned before, the value should be based on value of the parts. I couldn't ID the engine from that angle. Go from there... Value of a Pinto body?? Drive-train? Steering, Brakes, etc..... Shouldn't be much.

jackson

Loc.
Monument
If it were me I would leave it to gather dust and rust in that guys yard.
But if you want it I think the question is how much is worth to you rather than what is it worth. JMO

Jackson

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I am not try to steal this tread but i think lifted station wagons can be pretty cool. I would give about $500 for the pinto if it runs.
The pics below are of a 74 AMC Hornet with jeep axles.

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 23
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 25
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 31
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 20

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm going to have to disagree with most of you and say that I think that thing is AWESOME! With one exception, departure angle.

I didnt see the engine bay picture but I think it is cool. I would drive that as long as I did have a respectable Bronco as a Primary.

Did someone say 500.00? Where do I sign?

Jeff in AZ

OP
OP
TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK

It's actually $1500. I'd pay $500 in a heartbeat.

I agree about the departure angle, but I was thinking that I could fix that by replacing that silly looking rear bumper with one that doesn't stick out from the body so far. I was also thinking of how I might be able to move the rear axle back a few inches, so it fits better in the wheel well, and helps with departure.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Converting an early bronco to a pinto is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. What was that PO thinking? :'(

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree that converting is bad. But one that is already been violated will not likely start a trend of evil. 1500.00 offer 1K and meet him half way with a trailer.

I hope this is not intended as a daily driver because You will likely be tinkering for awhile. Look at all of that room in front of the pinto 4 cyl. I had a friend that had a sandrail with that pinto motor. Nice for a sand rail. You'll need some engine, even the I-6 would be nice.

I think that would look good with a big brushgaurd bumper with a winch.

OP
OP
TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK

it IS an I6. Nothing is origonal to the Pinto except the body.

This would not be my DD. I just want something to do some weekend wheelin with, and drive in the snow.

I'd love to get ahold of any EB, but around here, they're so rusted out, that you're likely to fall through the floor when you get in. Either that, or they cost well over five grand.

I really can't think of a better option for anywhere close to the $1500 price of this. I could always get a low milage BII for around $1500, but I think I'd rather have the Pinto.

OP
OP
TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK

I should also mention that the for the $1500, he said that he would have it ready for me to drive home.