• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wheel well: weld, rivet or bolt in?

panteramatt

SO I was driving the wifes 74 the other day and noticed an annoying squeeking. After looking it over I found the drivers side wheel well was riveted in and they all broke. Several of the brackets on the core support are cracked now too. Im guessing after I remove to grill I can diagnose everything better. Whats the best way to reattach the wheel well to the inner fender? I noticed the well moved over about 1/2" cause now I got hoses rubbing but it pretty solid, should I try moving it over or loosen everything and see if it lines up better?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I think bolting is your only good option. I would recommend you take a careful look at the bolt holes. If they are not painted (look at the very edge) then I would dab some paint in the holes first before you bolt them back on. If the edge of the hole starts to rust it will run down and look like poop stains plus your fenders rust out under the flair before you know it. I have level 10 OCD I would use nylon fasteners - no rust and they fail if the flair gets stuck on something and won't ruin the flair or the fender. Lowes or HomeDeport carry nylon nuts and bolts.