• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where does kickdown rod attach?

eRandall38

I just replaced my neutral safety switch, and while down there I noticed a rod running up to the engine. I followed it and it leads right up to the driver side of the carb. I also noticed it was not attached.

I can't figure out where it is supposed to attach to the carb at, or how? You can see a photo of the loose lever and a red arrow where I am guessing I need to attach it to somehow?

https://ibb.co/BwM7vF8

When driving I noticed it is shifting down and up strangely, could this be the cause? Shifting up it seems to lag and reach higher RPMs before shifting. Shifting down it also lags and almost works as an engine brake. Both shifts (up and down) seem to be "harder" as opposed to "smooth".

Is it ok to drive while I work on getting the parts needed to fix?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Looks like the adapter is there with a peg and a snap clip is on it. The linkage should only be pulled at 3/4 to full throttle, outside of that it should float like it is not attached.

OP
OP
E

eRandall38

Figured it out. Thanks guys. As some stated, all of the linkage is there.

I followed the link to buy the bracket in the thread mentioned here:
The lower ear on the linkage is for the return spring. You need an adapter from Holley then it should go together like the picture in this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1003768-holley-4160-and-trans-kickdown-setup.html

On the product page there is a youtube video showing how to install. At 40 seconds it mentions "remove the lock down screw". This was not removed on mine, which did not allow the kickdown lever to come back far enough to reach the kickdown rod for connection.
After removing the lock down screw, the lever reached far enough back to be connected.
Maybe that info will help someone in the future!

Thanks for the help guys, should be good to go now.