• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where should I buy my lift from

aklb43

I'm looking to buy a 3.5" suspension lift. Reading the forums I found that most of the vendors on here have outdated stuff, and f250 mounts are the best thing around right now. It looks like sextonracing.com has a 3.5" suspension lift with the f250 mounts, but is it a good deal?

Broncos n' VWs

Wasilla, huh? I wonder what the shipping would be on a lift kit? I've had good purchasing experiences with Wild Horses, BC Broncos, Toms, Sexton Offroad, Jeff's, Duffs, WCB, etc..... I personally like my BC springs, but that is all I've known. I would think your shipping would be less expensive with a west coast vendor.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure why you think our venders have outdated stuff. Our venders set the bar. want outdated go to the major suspension companies. F250 mounts are good wouldnt say they are the greatest thing on earth but they work. for what its worth why have F250 mounts shipped go to a junkyard or to your ford dealer last I heard they were still fairly cheap from the ford dealer.

looking at prices sexton is high maybe
Im pretty sure you can talk to WH get there 3.5 lift with f250 mounts, longer shocks and extended brake lines and it will still be less then sextons kit. Might be able to do the same with other venders.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Vendors have the best stuff for the Bronco's...tried and true. Go with Wildhorses or Duff.

JSBX

Contributor
Just installed BC Broncos 3.5" lift on my 74 and am very impressed with the ride. I have owned several Bronco with different lift kits and so far BC seems to be the best,

OsideDave

When I did my lift 4 yrs ago I researched forums and cobbled together what I felt was the best components for my budget/needs which was a flexy suspension that wasn't too squirrely at speed and would clear 35" tires. Got BCB 3.5" kit and purchased Bilstein shocks, F250 mounts (ford dealer, call around cuz prices varied) brake lines from Crown Industrial Products and Duff HD drop track bar bracket separately. Still need to work on the rear mounts as the stockers arent quite right for the new Bilsteins. This lift has worked great except everything but sand - getting some wheelhop in sanddunes.

ren71

There's some truth to the the outdated statement. I'd like to see better shocks in the kits offered.

mshade

Loc.
Mooresville IN
I lived in Palmer when I restored mind my 2.5 lift from Wildhorses cost $ 275 to ship watch the freight no matter where you get your kit from but I would get it from a west coast vendor, There is a guy in Wasilla name of Ryan he is on this site also his user name is 399strokerEB he might be able to help you out locally send him a PM nice guy he bought parts form me before I moved south Mike

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but the only EB 3.5" kit I see on that site looks to be the same kit as Duff's 5000B+ system. The Duff system looks to come with more bushings and is about $50 less. Yes the Sexton kit does give you the new upper shock mount to use a eyelet type shock instead of the stud, but if you going to do that wouldn't you just get the dual shock hoop setup?

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Torque Tamer

When I did my lift 4 yrs ago I researched forums and cobbled together what I felt was the best components for my budget/needs which was a flexy suspension that wasn't too squirrely at speed and would clear 35" tires. Got BCB 3.5" kit and purchased Bilstein shocks, F250 mounts (ford dealer, call around cuz prices varied) brake lines from Crown Industrial Products and Duff HD drop track bar bracket separately. Still need to work on the rear mounts as the stockers arent quite right for the new Bilsteins. This lift has worked great except everything but sand - getting some wheelhop in sanddunes.

Running a "Torque Tamer" will help eliminate that wheel hope.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

yes, shipping is alot, but WH has been pretty good about going ground usps for me on parts I've orderd. I may just go with shock hoops and upgrade to bilstien 5100 shocks.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

why do i need shock hoops or f250 shock mounts in the front? Can i just install longer travel springs and shocks on the front, and add a leaf or a new leaf pack in the back?

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
why do i need shock hoops or f250 shock mounts in the front? Can i just install longer travel springs and shocks on the front, and add a leaf or a new leaf pack in the back?

I think they were suggesting the shock hoops instead of the F250 mounts. The shock hoops will allow you to install the longest traveling suspension...without going to a four-link or some sort of $$$$$$ suspension.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont always need the F250 mounts or shock hoops unless you are looking to get that extra little bit of flex. Really unless you are installing long arms I wouldnt bother with hoops or F250 mounts at this point. I doubt youd see any gain.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
After reading many threads discussing the pros and cons of various kits offered by the on site vendors, and comparing their respective prices; I choose one forms Jeff's. I am very happy with it. It's a 3.5" deluxe. My only complaint was the lack of directions to ignore:)
I went with Jeff's because I have used them before and have been satisfied with their service; shipping was reasonable, and they had white shocks in their pictures. I my B is rattle can flat black, with a white top; so they match. That's about it.
Although I knew enough to install the components, I don't know enough about them to judge beyond the obviouse if any of the kits or components were superior to the rest.
I should add, I am currently in the market for new wheels and tires and after I acquire them, the quality of my ride could change for better or worse. Another thing I should add is, I installed the lift in a very cramped barn, on an unlevel floor. It was my first sl, and I can't see any signs of the dreaded lean. Is that Thanks to Jeff's kit? Hmmm...

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Almost forgot, I only plan to drive on paved roads, dirt roads, and fire trails. No serious mud, rocks, or and places I can't walk out of within an hour. ;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've yet to see any kit come with detailed instuctions. Your more or less on your own when modifying anything they basically give you the bare essentials for leagal purposes. Doesnt only apply to lifts pretty much anything you buy your lucky to get instructions but for the most part it all installs like the stock part it replaces so the same procedures apply.
kinda hard for many to comment on what is the best lift. as most people have only run stock or whatever they currently have and usually the new springs are way better than 30+ year old stockers. Personnally I've run stock and a skyjacker lift then a skyjacker/BC rear springs. I think the skyjacker actualy rode better than the BC. Not that the BC rides bad just a little stiffer than the skyjacker IMO. better shocks could make it ride different tho.
Tires do factor into ride quality lower air pressure tends to help.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

Dont always need the F250 mounts or shock hoops unless you are looking to get that extra little bit of flex. Really unless you are installing long arms I wouldnt bother with hoops or F250 mounts at this point. I doubt youd see any gain.

If i follow you correctly, i could get the 3.5" coils and bilstien 5100 for the front and call it good if my caster isnt to far out of wak. For the back, i could get the same bilstien 5100, and an ad a leaf if i wanted to do it on the cheap (shipping 50lb leaf packs to alaska is expensive).

Does that like it would work for a mild off-road rig?