• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Axle: 60, 70, or sterling

eb-nutt1

As the title implies, wondering what would be your choice for a rear axle. I've already got a 30 spline 60. The other 2 can be purchased on the cheap. I know the 14 bolt would be the cheapest to build but would offer the least ground clearance without severe cutting. I've currently running 38'5 sx's which I will probably have to use with the ton running gear. I'm leaning toward the built 60 with disc and 35 spline axles. Opinions needed.

Brian

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
None of the above. I would choose(chose) a built 9" which would be stronger than a Dana 60 without the loss of ground clearance from it. If I was limited to the 3 choices given though the Dana 60 would be my choice since it suffers the least from ground clearance loss. If I wanted the greatest strength I would go with a Full Floater Sterling.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
The Sterling has better ground clearance than the D60. It looks like it doesnt, but it really does. This is of course comparing it to an unshaved D60... once you shave the 60 it beats the Sterling and you cant really shave the Sterling.

rednck21

if youve already got the 60, id put some 35 spl chromo shafts in it like you said:cool:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
45acp said:
The Sterling has better ground clearance than the D60. It looks like it doesnt, but it really does. This is of course comparing it to an unshaved D60... once you shave the 60 it beats the Sterling and you cant really shave the Sterling.
Interesting. I'll have to check that out. The Sterling looks like a monster.

The sterling already has 35 spline axles as well. It's becoming more common to use so the options are pretty much the same now as the others and it is probably the easiest and cheapest to find of all 3.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I went with a D70 cause it already had the 35 spline axles, its full floater and the bottom is smooth. I don't like the bottom of the 14 bolt how it has that large lip which hangs up on stuff.
The D60 is alot of work to hog out for the 35 spline shafts.
I looked into the Sterling and didn't like the reviews or options available.
The nice thing about the 9" is you can run a spool but I don't like how the axle shafts can pop out.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Of the given options, I'd take the Sterling. I've also actually run a Sterling in an EB on the trail and I'd do it again, but I would shave the H$%l out of it. You can shave a LOT off the bottom of a Sterling.

In the old days, and if you do a search it's mostly old crap that comes up about the Sterling, you were limited with gear/locker choices. You can now get most of the gears you may want, Detroits, ARBs, etc... for lockers and they're already FF and 35 splines. Disk brakes are easy to do and then you drop about 100# off the axle weight. I think the Sterling now beats the D70 in options. (not to mention being able to get CHEAP junkyard spare axles)

All that being said, I'd run a 35 spline 9" over any of the given choices (and am currently!).

For me, it'd be: built 9", Sterling, Built D60, 14 bolt.
Joe