• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which headers?

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
Any recomendations on headers? What benefit is there on short vs. long headers? I am looking at L&L headers in JBG or the Wild Horses Pro Flow or shorty. 302 w/ 2.5 in WH lift, 1" body lift, C4 tranny.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I got the Hedman Elite Coated headers from Summit Racing. You can see them here.

They went in super easy (much easier to put in than the old rusted were to take out. they had to be cut to pieces). I really like them.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
If I were to buy headers for a more wild performance truck they would be the BC ones. The more I look at them, the more I like them

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a head-to-head dyno test, http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/29618_short_long_tube_headers_test/index.html

From past experience with most anything, you get what you pay for. Headers are no different. High dollar, well made, coated headers seem to last forever. It looks as though you already realize that, hopefully this article helps with your decision.

I'm running the long tube L&L's offered through JBG, H pipe and Flowmaster 50's. The power is great and the sound is relative to gas pedal position.

Senior Chief

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Good headers are a waste without good gaskets and hardware. I decided to use Percy's aluminum gaskets and they work really well. I wish I had gotten the locking header bolts.

I think Chuck (BC Broncos) sells a kit with both the gasket and locking bolts. I'm sure it's good.

JiM

rt22

Loc.
Alexandria
I went with Wild Horses Pro Flow Chrome long-tube headers (#8027) for my new 351W and C4. Probably should have gone with the ceramic ones but was trying to save money. They fit fine, but a little tight. I could not get them to drop in with the motor but they went on okay with the motor installed. I did buy some better gaskets after ripping one that came with the headers.

rednck21

i had the headman headers with jet hot coatings. i got them direct from jet hot for $334 shipped to my door. search for them...theres tons of info on them..

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
i had the headman headers with jet hot coatings. i got them direct from jet hot for $334 shipped to my door. search for them...theres tons of info on them..

I did the very same thing and couldn't be happier, but that was before Chuck came out with his, which I have heard are very nice too.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Here is a head-to-head dyno test, http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/29618_short_long_tube_headers_test/index.html

From past experience with most anything, you get what you pay for. Headers are no different. High dollar, well made, coated headers seem to last forever. It looks as though you already realize that, hopefully this article helps with your decision.

I'm running the long tube L&L's offered through JBG, H pipe and Flowmaster 50's. The power is great and the sound is relative to gas pedal position.

Senior Chief
I made my headers to fit Broncos so I had them dyno tested in a Bronco and got great results with my headers over the 351 manifolds. You can see the tests on my site.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Hey Chuck,
Im really interested in your headers, but do you offer them without the ceramic coating? I need to install 02 sensors and do not want to weld on a pretty set of ceramic coated headers, would rather do it on plain headers and then have them coated locally. Or best would be if you offered them with 02 bungs already installed.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I do not offer the headers uncoated because they will rust and I wouldn't want anyone to say that my headers rusted and forget to say that they were not coated.:) I do not have the O2 bung installed in the headers because the O2 senser would not get a good blended sample that close to the last cylinder but I do include the 2 O2 bungs with the headers so you can weld them in to the head pipe where they should be. Most exhaust shops charge little or nothing to install them and they will be out of the way of everything. Frame, clutch linkage, shift linkage, bellhousing, floorboard and whatever else that might be in the way. Also if you buy my exhaust system and tell me where you want the bung I will weld it in no c harge. As you can tell, I have thought about the above things and picked the course of action that would fit the most peoples needs, I think:)

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I have a 351 with aluminium heads with rased exaust ports and the headman headers were a pita to install,I had to relocate the brake lines to the outside of the frame and there is NO clearance between the frame and headers.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've got chucks headers on my truck. Great fit and well made.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Any of the shorties.

I pulled a set of long tubes Sat. and I would post my thoughts on the long tube headers but I do not want to get banned from the site.

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
I've got chucks headers on my truck. Great fit and well made.

Any other comments? I just put ceramic shorties from Summit on the FSB and when I put the new suspension on the 66 I will be in the market for some for it. I'd like to give Chuck some business.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have the hedman elites from summit reacing on mine, i wish the coating was a little thicker. one of the tubes on mine is showing a little brown which i'm not too happy about, but they fit and installation was great.

Attachments

• DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF0244.JPG
    DSCF0244.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 55

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just put on a pair of BC'S headers. Talk about an easy install and great fit. Great location for your exhaust guy to tie into also. My o2 bungs were put in the head pipe , 2 or 3 inches from the collector , exhaust guy put them where they are easy to get to but out of the way from rocks and stuff.

Hey Chuck , I didn't get bungs with mine , or new bolts , if I was supposed to?