• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Hydroboost unit is best...?

mnido

Contributor
What is the best hydroboost unit to use, based on availability, adapability ? I want to use something new or newer if possuilbe. This will be with an Explorer pump. Thanks

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
Astrovan are the most common--- 1990's vintage. But guys are using everything from f-350's to mustangs hb conversions.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I used a unit out of a 1993 Astrovan....but I believe they are all pretty close, if not all the same?

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Contributor
I just worry about using a twenty year old part for braking. I know..buy a new one.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just worry about using a twenty year old part for braking. I know..buy a new one.

It's all about managing risk. A rebuilt unit may be a better option for you if it helps put your mind at ease. As long as it's not leaking a lot, I don't think there's much danger in using a hydroboost from the last two decades.

What concerns/scares me is when people brag about re-using 20-30 yr. old hydraulic lines from the junkyard.

Todd Z.

turbotim2

I am using a 78 Lincoln unit. Not installed yet but have completed the conversion on an original PB bracket.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I am using a 78 Lincoln unit. Not installed yet but have completed the conversion on an original PB bracket.

I used one from an '84 Lincoln w/ the MC that was on it. Cleaned everything up and bolted it straight to the firewall. I'm using an explorer front dress and junkyard pump and my '69 running 33" tires brakes better than my wife's '08 Saturn SUV!

Got a couple Astro units to try on the '68 I'm building right now.