• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which lift leaf springs for an existing lift?

jake2077

Hi all, I am working to replace the existing leaf springs on my 71 Bronco and outside of the amount of work with rust and original bolts I am wondering which lift to get. The picture attached shows the 3" lift with factory leaf springs but how does this equate to the Toms Bronco options at 2.5, 3.5, and 5.5 options?

https://imgur.com/a/UTUMkWv

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-leaf-springs

It may be obvious and I'm most likely overthinking it, thanks!

Last edited:

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I would ask, do you have a Bronco that is level at this point? Nose up, Nose down? If nose up go with 3.5" if nose down 2.5" Level????

OP
OP
jake2077

jake2077

Yes, it is level at the moment. Guess I'm not sure what the measurement is based on and if having the 3" block under the leaf springs already should stay or go with the new leaf springs. Thanks.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Your best bet is to get front and rear springs at the same time. Get what ever lift you need to clear your tires. I would advise to stay away from only doing front or rear. Ask me how I know....

OP
OP
jake2077

jake2077

Your best bet is to get front and rear springs at the same time. Get what ever lift you need to clear your tires. I would advise to stay away from only doing front or rear. Ask me how I know....

Luckily the previous owner had done the front as well and they are in good shape. The rear leaf springs are the originals with the 3" spacers and rust everywhere.

mrdrnac

Contributor
My limited expereince tells me to go with the 2.5" leafs. Usually the vendor lifts give you more lift than "advertised". I had to take leafs out of my 11 leaf set to bring it down to where it was at the height I wanted.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Yes you want to get new leaf springs from a bronco vendor. The main question is what size either2.5 or 3.5". Other options are 9 or 11 pack. Either way it will ride nicer with the new bronco specific springs. Check in with dirt donk(paul) when he chimes in. He works for wh and may be a better help on what lift size will be best for you. Surprised he hasn't checked in already.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You're in Tennessee so go with Dufftuff.com.
They are in Tennessee. They are the original eb vendor.

dlane84

Check out the Skyjacker leaf springs that I saw on 4wheelonline. Though the ones they currently have in stock are in 4.5".

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Check out the Skyjacker leaf springs that I saw on 4wheelonline. Though the ones they currently have in stock are in 4.5".

These are most likely off the shelf leaves like super lift. If so they will not ride as well as the early bronco specific springs that our vendors sell. It's well worth the extra couple bucks to get the springs made just for the ebs.