• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who swapped in a 250ci in EB

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Found a 250 and a tranny out of a maverick for $200. Thought it would be a good upgrade to the 200 thats in it. Ive got a 302 bell housing off of a RAT and a v8 clutch fork. Motor mounts will be out of a maverick. Will my 6 cyl RAN be fine for the 250? Talked to Stout at SC about his a little bit. Anything else major i need to buy or be prepared for? That extra 50ft/lbs of torgue be nice.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Is the inline 300 that much bigger than the 250? There are lots of 300s in junkyards that are still good. The 300s got some serious torque.

canary28

watch your hood clearance. 250 is taller than 170/200. It has been done though!

bmbm

I have a 250 in mine. As far as hood clearance I have a 1" body lift and I slotted the engine mounts a little to get the 250 lower but doubt if that is actually needed. I also have a 2.5 "suspension lift that helps with front diff clearance. Get the air cleaner from the Mav it is the dropped base style good for clearance. And yes the extra torque is great.
A guy on here JimmyV I believe has a great post on here about his 250 swap very detailed with lots of pics and his is one of the best looking Broncos I have seen. He is also on fordsix.com

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
The PO of mine did the same swap except he kept the HEF tranny. He also cut the center brace off the hood%) clipped one ear off the radiator cap so it would clear the front of the hood%)%) and modified the air cleaner housing to sit lower%)%)%). It had no body or suspension lift. It may have been a good swap when the engine was fresh, but by the time it landed in my lap it was pretty worn out. Still had good torque at the lower rpm's, but it couldn't get out of it's own way. Put a 289 in and later and now a 5.0 and a lot bigger smile on my face;D

Jim W.

OP
OP
P

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Hadnt bought the 250 yet but just wondering if it was worth the swap. I have all the stuff to put a v8 in it but want a six. Ive got a spare 200 out of a fairmont and may build it a little and swap it in. Just got home from Super Celebration and the 67 got 29mpg with the little 200 and 33's

bmbm

250 swap

For 29 mpg I say don't touch a thing on it! But if you must swap then depending on the condition of your Fairmount 200 and the Mav 250 it would require several hundred dollars to get a 200 to have what a stock 250 has. Even the stock 250 has good low end torque and works well for mine, it would have been a good choice over the 200 from Ford as original equipment.

OP
OP
P

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
I figured it would cost a good deal to get the 200 close to what the 250 is stock. Was thinking i could rebuild 250 to stock and maybe put a DUI ignition on it and let it ride. My main concern is the oilpan mods. Hadnt seen any pics as to what is required. Just read that mods must be done. My grandad haf a 70 1/2 falcon with a 250 and three speed and it would fly. My cousin has it now and every since i bought my bronc the thought of putting a 250 in it was on my mind. Speed is not a factor on my 200 i just would like a little more low end grunt to pull hills

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Go with a V-8 and change the tranny if you want low end. I have to gas it going down hill with my 5.0 and NP435.

Jim W.

bmbm

oil pan mods

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=70194

This link should take you to fordsix.com and the post by jimmyv65 about his 250 swap and oil pan mod which is the best solution I have seen. My oil pan is still stock but since I don't rock crawl or anything like that just dirt roads I have not had any problems with my2.5" sl.
A 250 rebuild with just a couple inexpensive mods will get you good low end torque.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...I'd have to go with the 250cid. Running Buddy had the 200 cid & theNP 435. I had the 302w/ Np435.. Both were worthless .. I gave up & went with the 4BT ..
... BUT I loved the 250 & I have a 300 in the 1980 Bronco it's is great but too much trouble in our 72 type Bronco ..
... I'd have to give the 250 a Chance.