• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why a Bronco?

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
In the time leading up to the purchase of my '74 Bronco, my wife asked me what made me interested in an old Bronco. She is not too crazy about the street appeal of a hood up in the driveway etc., and would have much preferred I consolidated vehicles into a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Anyway, I am afraid I didn't have a great answer for her beyond the fact I have always wanted one. Would anyone care to share your thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Bill

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I've 'wheeled for 30+ years and have owned Jeeps. Truth be told my wife would also rather have me buy a new Jeep and lift it so that she could have AC, doors, CD player, and all the creature comforts. I don't like to follow the crowd and do what everyone else is doing, which is one reason I now have the EB. I also really enjoy building a rig from the ground up, which I couldn't/wouldn't have to do with a new Jeep.

Plus, an EB is just soooooooo much cooler than a cookie cutter Jeep. :cool:

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i asked jones the same question. he told me he's owned jeeps, they ride like shit. he wanted something he could comfortable drive to his wheeling destination, wheel it without breaking it, and comfortably drive it home. he got what he asked for, as long as he doesn't put his fan through his ron davis catching air again...

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Why not a Bronco? I guess the creature comforts of newer vehicles are alright - but I have always preferred driving in an old classic. There is just something about them.

Plus, you don't have to "consolidate vehicles" to own a Bronco. For the $ of a new Heep - you could get two (or more) EB's that would run circles around it.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Because when i was 16 i took my moms 92 FSB out mudding, i came home my dad said, "looks like a good time, do it again and i will break your legs, go buy an old one" well i had never seen an old bronco around here, i stumbled across CB.com...and the rest is history

Grant

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
very nice. As it was stated on here "it's the price you pay to be cool and drive beef" I agree, anyone can have a jeep, ask Barbie.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
After driving in a new car most of the week, I cant wait to get in the Bronco to cruise. I love the feel, the look, and the character of the Bronco. I really like to get away from most of those creature comforts and just enjoy the vehicle for the vehicles sake. Although there seems to be a million of them up here in the PNW they are still pretty rare considering their total production in 12 years is less than there is in 1 year for a jeep, thats really cool.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i agree, any chance to drive it makes it worth owning. my wife doesn't get it either, but she is supportive.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Cause the chicks dig it...No really though. They are very unique vehicles that get a lot of attention. I can't count the number of people who have stopped me or come by the house to talk about my Bronco. Everyone has a story about the one they owned or their grandfather owned. I drive one because I love how it looks and it gives me something to toy with when I'm bored.

Last edited:

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
Here's some ammo for you:
  1. classic vehicle
  2. quickly appreciating value
  3. getting rarer all the time
  4. more stout than a jeep
  5. better looking
  6. bronco people are more helpful, nicer, and more of a family
  7. more room than a jeep
  8. '74 and up are already well set up for good wheeling without needing mods
  9. can be outfitted with all the same comforts as newer vehicles
  10. something to keep in the family that can't just be bought at a dealer
  11. my wife wouldn't let me sell the bronco if I wanted to, I've thought about it more than once when money was tight, she said hell no:)

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I bought mine because they are the best in the mud, bar none. I know most of you are rock crawlers and have never seen the gumbo of the Ms. Delta, but it is the worse I have ever seen. I could drive around a stuck jeep, scout, or full size truck in a rice field and pull up to their window and say" you stuck?" It would really p*** them off.
May not help you with your wife, but when I painted mine as Sgt. Chuck said, they are a real chick magnet.
They are simple and can be worked on without a $25,000 computer.
No one wants to come up and talk about a jeep.
They are classics.

OX1

Bronco Guru
She didn't have to ask, I'm a ford guy when it comes to my toys. It's the only ford with a combo of a V8, complete removable top, 4WD, and antique-able registration (no inspection and collector insr. for 150$ a year). That and even fully optioned out (not a top caliber show truck obviously), still cheaper than a new heep.

BTW, the tow rig has all that creature comfort stuff.

aaronmichorn

Loc.
Taylorsville
It's all about style. Old cars have it. New cars don't. I bought a new Dodge Ram 4x4 jacked it up, put big tires on it, added all kinds of cool stuff to it, and you know what. It was just like 100 other ones in my area. I spent five years building my Bronco, and I love tha fact that I can diagnose problems and fix them in my garage. THere is a cool factor that you will never have in a new truck or jeep.

THen again I do have AC in my other car which is really nice, as I look out the window at my Bronco's black seats baking in the sun.

Most peolep need two cars. Get one practical one that is cheap and one fun one to put the rest of your money into. I make a car payment to my Bronco every month. That's how i keep moving ahead with it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Good idea, i'm going to have to try and pass that through congress!

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
  • V8
  • Cool Factor
  • Better Suspension than jeeps
  • Better drivetrain than jeeps
  • Heavier(studies have shown that in a wreck the heavier vehicle usually comes out better off)
  • More room (for you, to work on, to put stuff)
  • Spend the same amount in a bronco and a jeep and the bronco will be a much more capable rig

I told a guy in myjeepclub that the bronco was ford's offer to the army for a general purpose vehicle and fortunately it wasn't built by the lowest bidder...

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Ditto all of the above. My wife didn't understand either; it took her a few years to realize just how cool and dependable these rigs are, on and off road. She now where a Bronco Brotherhood T-shirt proudly (Thanks Josh!) and gets as excited as I do when another one is sighted. :cool:

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
The door striker is a perfect bottle opener.
Good to know I have never noticed that;D

Why a Bronco?
I got mine because it was free and have been loving it ever since.
(although i did want an old FJ but I have been cured of that)