• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why Bronco's don't wanna stop

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Even with 4 wheel disc and power brakes. Is it just related to the vacuum booster size? I've had many offroad Fords and they all stopped better than this with less $$. %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
4 wl disc dont mean you'll stop better. Disc brakes actually have less Stopping power than drums. Disc brakes just fade less than drums thats one of the main benifits over drums. Add that to big heavy tires and braking goes down. Most systems that people add on are not matched very well so if your not stopping well you more than likely have a issue with MC sizing. Another factor is brake pads if you went with high end pads they will not stop well until really hot stay with semi mettalics they grab better. Many will say install H boost but really if your not stopping well now your only covering a problem.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Add hydro boost, Sorry I just had to do that.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I rode in a buddies heep that had hydroboost and he was locking up 38"s, it just seemed a little too much. My bronco on 35"s with power brakes stops fine, and I now know that the front disc was doing all the work, since the rear drums were not properly adjusted. I imagine it will clean up that much more with a prop valve and new brake lines everywhere.

By comparison, the CJ7 I bouhgt had power brakes and it felt like my old manual brakes. The guy I sold it to said that was normal pedal feel for stock power brakes on a heep.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The Bronco vacuum booster is better than manual brakes but is still marginal because of the small diameter of the diaphram. I just installed an RV cam and had a real improvement on my brakes. I guess because of the higher vacuum the cam creates.

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
um i have 4 wheel drums with manual brakes on 37"s and i stop fine.. because i rebuilt the whole system with new drums in the front...

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
the reason they don't stop very well is they weigh as much as a Galaxie 500 and we put tires that are too big for an F450 and expect them to stop like a New Mustang

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I know Hydroboost is the fix. But I ran large tires on bigger fords and they stopped better.
Everything on my 4wheel disc is only 2500 miles old. I run braided lines bla bla bla. My pedal feels fine for around town. When you need that panic stop it seems the brakes just fade and don't grab anymore than light pedal pressure does. I have plenty of pedal travel. I think my M/C is a 1 1/16 bore or something like that.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How well an EB stops typically has very little to do with money and much more to do with maintenance IMHO, big tires or not.

rnrmp

Loc.
owasso
I felt the same way when I would go to stop. Got lucky and won the hydroboost at the OCBR raffle made by Vanco, and now it stops very well, will lock up 33's when needed and will slow down with ease to stop signs, etc. Point is go with hydroboost, you deserve it, damn it.

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I am thinking it may be the pads. Any idea what works? I used to work for Toyota and we seen big problems with aftermarket pads sometimes.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Mine stops better if I pucker up and yell "Whoa Boy!"

I have an all stock braked "77 and have found that my brakes are grabby enough that if I make a panic stop they all lock up and then there is no control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluelimo

Loc.
Providence, UT
EBC Yellow pads

I just changed my standard pads out for the EBC Yellow pads. They are supposed by be higher friction at a low temperature. There was a noticable improvement, however its still not good enough. Here is what I have tried so far: Rear disks= no improvement; Dual diaphram booster= some improvement; Vacuum resevoir= some improvement; Wilwood 4 piston front calipers= some improvement; 1" bore MC instead of 1.125"=most improvement yet; EBC Yellow pads= minor improvement. I think I will try H-boost next and quit messing with it. Hope some of this is helpful.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did I read that right , you have a 1" bore MC on an all disk system ? And it works better than a 1 1/8" bore ?