• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild horses 1 piece quarter panels install and removal?

H22crxpwr

Contributor
Has anyone installed the 1 piece wild horses quarters? It's the upper, lower and tail light housing all in one piece with no seams. And I couldn't find any write ups on removing the original upper quarters and taillight housings. Any help or videos or articles would be helpful. I've been gathering parts and don't want to cut the wrong pieces off when I do this..

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't know how far you are going with your panel replacement. Are you thinking you will be able to keep your rear bed post and striker post in place? I would plan on building a whole new rear quarter panel. I am thinking you are going to have to cut it all off. Use the panels you can re use and weld you up a new quarter panel and install it as one piece.

OP
OP
H22crxpwr

H22crxpwr

Contributor
I don't know how far you are going with your panel replacement. Are you thinking you will be able to keep your rear bed post and striker post in place? I would plan on building a whole new rear quarter panel. I am thinking you are going to have to cut it all off. Use the panels you can re use and weld you up a new quarter panel and install it as one piece.
Rear bed post and door striker will stay just replacing the whole rear quarter piece as one. Just wondering how to remove the upper quarter panel and if there are any write ups or videos on it. I've seen videos for the lower but nothing for the upper and the taillight housing

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well the upper has the mounting surface for the wheel well. So you got to cut that loose. The upper also welds to both the door striker post and the tailgate post. So you will have to cut it away from those. If you are doing the drivers side you will have to remove the gas filler covers. You also need to remove the striker post reinforcements. Also cut away the beed fillers. Its a fun time. Plus getting the rear tailgate post into the quarter pane assembly can be a challenge . I have this picture in my head of trying to lower the quarter panel down over Both the striker post and the tailgate post. It could be a little tricky. The striker post is the easy part. You kinda have to twist the tailgate post into position. It doesn't just drop over into place. It wants to kick your ass.

OP
OP
H22crxpwr

H22crxpwr

Contributor
Thanks. Looks like I might have to just carefully cut small sections to make sure I don't hack off something I need 🤣 the 1 piece quarters also come with a new inner quarter piece so I have to figure that out also.

OP
OP
H22crxpwr

H22crxpwr

Contributor
And yes I'm doing both sides. It's all dented up and previous owner "fabricated" diamond plate lower quarters...... that just cover the original lowers and have a space between perfect for letting water in hahaha in sure it's a mess under there. It's a definite project but I got it for a decent price.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You are in for a real treat. After building a few quarter panels I would not think twice about building whole new ones and setting them in place. Way easier in my opinion.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
You are in for a real treat. After building a few quarter panels I would not think twice about building whole new ones and setting them in place. Way easier in my opinion.

Have you looked at these one piece by Wildhorse?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I just did look at them. I think they are fiberglass ??? So I dont really see how you would use them with a steel body replacement panel. But I do like them for sides on a buggy build.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Nope they are steel and the inner is separate. So that would make them much easier to install over old striker and tailgate posts. Plus I still like them for an off road application.

OP
OP
H22crxpwr

H22crxpwr

Contributor
They are steel. The only difference is that they are not separated by seams and the upper lower and taillight sections are all stamped steel in one piece. With a new inner piece also.