• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horses Wrap Trap Install

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Just installed the Wild Horses Wrap Trap
I never really saw any good threads about it, so I figured I would throw a quick one up so you can see what it looks like

Looks to be a very nice product, and well made, the only thing I wish they would add is a little more reinforcment especially where it is welded to the axle

I added a pair of extra reinforcments on both the ends of the cross member(for a more finished look) and on each side of the brackets that weld to the axle.

Also I replaced the heim joint with a Currie Johnny Joint

I onlt drove it a little bit so far, but I can tell it is working. The rear doesn't sink, or the front raise up much at all anymore, so I can tell it is doing it's job. The rear also feels more stable around corners.

Here are some quick pictures, still have to clean it up some more, but I wanted to get some paint on it so it won't rust on me, till I have time to take care of it right.

Attachments

• wraptrap.JPG
    wraptrap.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 182
  • wraptrap2.JPG
    wraptrap2.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 222
  • wraptrap3.JPG
    wraptrap3.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 198

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks for the pics. Been thinking about the Wrap Trap recently, even though I haven't had any u-joint or serious wrap problems yet. Just wondering it would work with my inboard shock mount. DB, might PM you for some measurements on yours later if you don't mind.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Thanks for the pics. Been thinking about the Wrap Trap recently, even though I haven't had any u-joint or serious wrap problems yet. Just wondering it would work with my inboard shock mount. DB, might PM you for some measurements on yours later if you don't mind.

Sure no problem, though I don't see how it would interfere with a inboard shock setup

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
I replaced the heim joint with a Currie Johnny Joint

question what is the difference?

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
Just installed the Wild Horses Wrap Trap.... onlt drove it a little bit so far, but I can tell it is working. The rear doesn't sink, or the front raise up much at all anymore, so I can tell it is doing it's job.

Seems like the link should promote weight transfer to the rear as the springs can't deform into an 's' shape as much?

I made my own copy of the wrap trap years ago and it works great. being able to do a slow, smooth powerbrake is good test for a tracion aid.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Putting the power to the ground instaed of using it to wrap up the springs is a good thing. I've had the misfortune of being in a tight spot and shearing all of the leaves in one spring right in front of the axel spring pad way out in the middle of BFE. Let me tell ya it ain't no fun swapping out a leaf spring in the middle of no where with no flat, solid ground to jack upon!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks for posting the pics Donsbolt, I have a new one sitting on shop floor and was trying to visualize the install and wasn't getting all of it. Plus my muffler is in the way.

Ben

tcb42

I have had the wrap trap for a couple of years and it works good. Three times I have pulled the end with the nut through the urethane (washers are in place). Anybody else have a problem with this? The brackets are solid and controls axle wrap like it should. With a 4.5" lift I have no interference issues with inboard shock hoop either.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Don, by the way did you get your johnny joint at?

Ben

He said that it was a Currie joint, so I would guess that he got it from Currie.

www.currieenterprises.com

So I have seen several threads bashing the wrap trap, saying that it limits articulation. Do those of you guys that run this have any input? I definitely like the "cleaner" look to it as opposed to some of the other wrap bars that I have seen. Gets everything up out of the way.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
He said that it was a Currie joint, so I would guess that he got it from Currie.

www.currieenterprises.com

So I have seen several threads bashing the wrap trap, saying that it limits articulation. Do those of you guys that run this have any input? I definitely like the "cleaner" look to it as opposed to some of the other wrap bars that I have seen. Gets everything up out of the way.

Yes I got the joint from Currie. Though the bolt(on the Johnny Joint) that goes into the bracket on the axle is smaller. I welded grade 8 bolts into the brackets, ground them smooth, and then drilled the center of the bolts out. So if you already have the wrap trap installed, it might be to late to convert to a Johnny joint. The threads for the bar are the same on the Johnny joint.

I can't tell you if it limits articulation, or not, but I will trade a little loss of articulation to get rid of all the axle wrap my truck has.LikeBroncoBiff said said it better to have some axle wrap device on your truck, than braking parts and leaving you stranded. There might be better axle wrap devices out there, but they are harder to install, and cost more.

On the street the truck now handles a little different with the wrap trap. Mine may react different that trucks with other spings, I have Cage springs which are very soft.

It doesn't handle better, or worse, just different, I am still getting used to it, but here are my initial impressions. The rear end doesn't squat down like it did before. When you get on the gas the front end doesn't raise up nearly as much as it did before. I kinda like this part, as the steering wheel stays straighter when you leave a light under strong acceleration. Also when you apply the brakes the front doesn't dive down like it did before, so this might help keep the rear wheels from locking up.

I am not sure if it just because I now have new mud terrain tires, instead of All terrain tires, but the rear feels a little lighter especially in the center of sharp turns on windy roads. I still think a lot of this is due to my new tires.

I do get the impression that the rear is now a little bit stiffer than without the wrap trap.

It might be nice if Wild Horses could offer some different rubber bushings that are a little softer, and see how that effects the way it feels.It would have been nice if the front(male threaded) part of the bar was about a inch longer so you could add a 2nd bubber bushing, maybe even mix two different spring rate rubber bushings infront of the front bracket. Then you could let the axle twist just a little, but let stiffer once the softer bushing take over after the initial twist happens.

I am still getting used to how it handles now, and since I just replaced my tires a few days ago, some of what I may bee feeling could be new tires. I am going to play with the preload on the bar, and see if it changes the way it feels.

Overall I am very happy with it, I know it isn't a perfect solution for every Bronco, and with anything sometimes there are compromises. I knew there might be some compromises when I bought this, but comaired to all the axle wrap I had, it is a big improvement.

If I were to guess just from the 20-30 miles I drove it so far, if it were to limit rear axle movement. It would be if you were trying to stuff both rear wheels at the same time, it might try to keep the rear from squatting. I don't think it would prevent the rear axle from dropping or stuffing one wheel and letting the other wheel drop. So in certain situations where the rear squats to much, and makes the front end loose traction It might be a good thing

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Another nice improvement Don. Did you pick up a welder, or did you have a local shop do it?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Another nice improvement Don. Did you pick up a welder, or did you have a local shop do it?

I found a cool local place that welded it up for me.
Good guys, good rates, they do what you want, and even let me help to get it done quicker, and save some money.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
That's great....but can you still pop a wheelie???:D

Not so much, but don't get all that torque steer, or bump steer like I used to.

So I will trade not being able to do wheelies, to launch a lot straighter

I am going to go sand dragging tomorow, I will let you know how it works out

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yes I got the joint from Currie. Though the bolt(on the Johnny Joint) that goes into the bracket on the axle is smaller. I welded grade 8 bolts into the brackets, ground them smooth, and then drilled the center of the bolts out. So if you already have the wrap trap installed, it might be to late to convert to a Johnny joint. The threads for the bar are the same on the Johnny joint.

I can't tell you if it limits articulation, or not, but I will trade a little loss of articulation to get rid of all the axle wrap my truck has.LikeBroncoBiff said said it better to have some axle wrap device on your truck, than braking parts and leaving you stranded. There might be better axle wrap devices out there, but they are harder to install, and cost more.

On the street the truck now handles a little different with the wrap trap. Mine may react different that trucks with other spings, I have Cage springs which are very soft.

It doesn't handle better, or worse, just different, I am still getting used to it, but here are my initial impressions. The rear end doesn't squat down like it did before. When you get on the gas the front end doesn't raise up nearly as much as it did before. I kinda like this part, as the steering wheel stays straighter when you leave a light under strong acceleration. Also when you apply the brakes the front doesn't dive down like it did before, so this might help keep the rear wheels from locking up.

I am not sure if it just because I now have new mud terrain tires, instead of All terrain tires, but the rear feels a little lighter especially in the center of sharp turns on windy roads. I still think a lot of this is due to my new tires.

I do get the impression that the rear is now a little bit stiffer than without the wrap trap.

It might be nice if Wild Horses could offer some different rubber bushings that are a little softer, and see how that effects the way it feels.It would have been nice if the front(male threaded) part of the bar was about a inch longer so you could add a 2nd bubber bushing, maybe even mix two different spring rate rubber bushings infront of the front bracket. Then you could let the axle twist just a little, but let stiffer once the softer bushing take over after the initial twist happens.

I am still getting used to how it handles now, and since I just replaced my tires a few days ago, some of what I may bee feeling could be new tires. I am going to play with the preload on the bar, and see if it changes the way it feels.

Overall I am very happy with it, I know it isn't a perfect solution for every Bronco, and with anything sometimes there are compromises. I knew there might be some compromises when I bought this, but comaired to all the axle wrap I had, it is a big improvement.

If I were to guess just from the 20-30 miles I drove it so far, if it were to limit rear axle movement. It would be if you were trying to stuff both rear wheels at the same time, it might try to keep the rear from squatting. I don't think it would prevent the rear axle from dropping or stuffing one wheel and letting the other wheel drop. So in certain situations where the rear squats to much, and makes the front end loose traction It might be a good thing

Thanks for the info.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
This is a cool product, but doesn't it serve the same purpose as the classic traction bars offered by Duffs? They are a little cheaper and don't have to be welded.