• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will it work??

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
I have a 1984 Ford F150 4x4 rolling chassis I bought several years for another project. Will the Auto Trans and t-case fit and work in my eb build without too much trouble? Im using the 302 from the 84' already.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
You can make anything work with a torch and a welder! Seriously, You will be looking at crossmember issues, driveshaft issues and linkage issues. There might even be interference with the tansfer case hitting the narrower bronco frame. With the 84 engine going into an early bronco drivetrain, you will be looking at finding a flexplate with the 50oz wt that matches the earlier bolt pattern and tooth count( pre 80 302 engine are 28oz, post 80 are 50 oz harmonic balancer and flywhell/flexplate)

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
You can make anything work with a torch and a welder! Seriously, You will be looking at crossmember issues, driveshaft issues and linkage issues. There might even be interference with the tansfer case hitting the narrower bronco frame. With the 84 engine going into an early bronco drivetrain, you will be looking at finding a flexplate with the 50oz wt that matches the earlier bolt pattern and tooth count( pre 80 302 engine are 28oz, post 80 are 50 oz harmonic balancer and flywhell/flexplate)

Sorry for my nievity but I am an enthusiest, not a technician. I didnt realize there would be fitment issues using the newer motor. Am I just needing to make sure I use the (50 oz harmonic balancer and flywhell/flexplate) from the 84 motor or use the (28 oz harmonic balancer and flywhell/flexplate) from the original 77' motor with the 84' motor?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Your 84' engine uses a 50 oz balancer and flex plate, which are correct and don't need to be changed, especially if your using the trans, although I don't think it's an AOD like you want, it's probably a C6. If you want efi, I'd look into a 89-91 mustang intakes and mass air meter, and get the AOD from that also.

You can run the C6 with only limited problems associated with length.

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
Your 84' engine uses a 50 oz balancer and flex plate, which are correct and don't need to be changed, especially if your using the trans, although I don't think it's an AOD like you want, it's probably a C6. If you want efi, I'd look into a 89-91 mustang intakes and mass air meter, and get the AOD from that also.

You can run the C6 with only limited problems associated with length.

It is not an AOD and that really really is what I want. I never thought about pulling trans out of my EFI donar I find. Thanks. One of our shop mechanics specializes in Transmissions and is pretty sharp. He would help me make the transfer.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The t-case won't fit. It's almost as wide as the eB frame, so there's not enough room for it to hang fully L of center.

Before you get too deep in this swap, check the price of the adapter to put the old D20 onto this newer trans, AND how much your buddy is gonna charge you to install it.

Then check out a V8 Explorer/Mountaineer t-case.