• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

winch bumpers

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
im getting a winch for christmas and just realized i cant fit one on the bumper i have now. what are some of yalls favorite bumpers and brands? winch is no good without the bumper. i gotta get one fast.

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
Well You could build your own or, get one like this from Proto Fab. In my Opinon the Proto Fab bumper is bombproof.
nwb03.jpg

Jackalmdt

Loc.
Reno
I just got James Duff's winch prerunner bumper. It looks great and for the price I couldn't build it on my own. The thing is beefy, I can't wait for the next Mercedes that decides to stop in front of me....I mean the last time was an accident, honest.<br><br>Jered<br>

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
I have a Protofab,and it is indeed bombproof.You'll bend the frame before you bend a Protofab.<br>One thing Protofab doesn't mention on their website,is that bumper is available in High mount or Low mount for the winch.The one shown in the pic is a Low mount,that's what I have.The High mount will give you a little better approach angle,but will block airflow to the radiator,especially if you are using a tall winch like an 8274.<br>Cross Enterprises makes some very stout bumpers too,I just prefer the prerunner look.Brett Kinch's Stealth bumpers are also something worth considering.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=Jered_69 link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#92931 date=1040328887]<br>I just got James Duff's winch prerunner bumper. It looks great and for the price I couldn't build it on my own. The thing is beefy, I can't wait for the next Mercedes that decides to stop in front of me....I mean the last time was an accident, honest.<br><br>Jered<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree the Duff's is very strong. Luckily I'm close enough that I got it at the PSVB Anniv Run so I avoided shipping ;D 8)

OP
OP
komodo72

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to go with either the Proto Fab or James Duff. I'll proboaly get the one that doesnt stick out as far. BTW the winch is one of the warn 9500's (I thinks its the HS9500i) don't know which one yet, but it is on the way. Also how do yall recommend installing the electricial part of the winch? Use the same battery I have or use two or.....

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
Also check out Hanson Enterprises, not a pre-runner style but much stronger and sleek looking. He puts alot of quality and time into his designs, talk about bullit proof his are the shi**.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=komodo72 link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#93033 date=1040340904]<br>Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to go with either the Proto Fab or James Duff. I'll proboaly get the one that doesnt stick out as far. BTW the winch is one of the warn 9500's (I thinks its the HS9500i) don't know which one yet, but it is on the way. Also how do yall recommend installing the electricial part of the winch? Use the same battery I have or use two or.....<br>[/quote]NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! Get an Optima battery! If you cant find 1 in your area you can get them from Summit racing. I have the red top but if you have the money get the yellow top!

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
Optima is a good battery but they go bad if they sit for a long time and discharge in a vehicle. I have had three of them go bad from this.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Also, as far as Optima's go, Optima doesn't recommend using the side posts for supplying high current loads like a winch. You should use the top posts.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have the Super Trail Breaker winch bumper. Seems to provide the best front end protection<br>
trailbreaker1.jpg

OP
OP
komodo72

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
So if Optima doesnt recommend the side spots for winching do yall recommend dual set up?? If so what is the cheapest way to go about do that (cept for the battery of course). And for those that don't have duals what do yall do????

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=komodo72 link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#93127 date=1040361953]<br>So if Optima doesnt recommend the side spots for winching do yall recommend dual set up?? If so what is the cheapest way to go about do that (cept for the battery of course). And for those that don't have duals what do yall do????<br>[/quote]I use 1 top post battery and hook every thing to it! As far as an optima going bad from sitting I cant hardly believe that as mine is the sitting for weeks at a time queen and I have never had a problem!

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=FSRBIKER link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#93096 date=1040355773]<br>These kick ass...<br><br>http://www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html<br><br>http://www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com/photo.html<br><br>--FSRBIKER<br>[/quote]<br>these bumpers look like they kick ass, but I ordered the front about 3 months ago (sent the guy a check for $535), and have been promised the bumper for the last 6 weeks. I still havn't seen it. The guy builds them in his spare time, and I understand after hours jobs. But this is rediculous. Just be warned if you order one of these, the guy won't build it without money up front, and you may never see it.

Deere4440

Loc.
Helena, MT
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#93106 date=1040356958]<br>I have the Super Trail Breaker winch bumper. Seems to provide the best front end protection<br>
trailbreaker1.jpg
<br>[/quote]<br>Waverous,<br>I'd like a link to that super trail breaker bumper. I'm not a fan of pipe bumpers; but I like what they have for a grill guard. Been thinking of building my own similar; but using tha standard Warn bumper as a foundation.<br>TIA

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
3 months is a stretch, if he took a deposit first then that would not be so bad but to ask for full price up front well that's not fair. I know how it is to work a second job on the side but I try and be as honest as possible to customers up front, I just don't have the time I need right now to build the stuff people want from me especially since I planned on using this winter to get my EB ready for the trails in the spring.<br><br>Hope you get your bumper soon, they do look very nice for serious rockcrawling.<br><br>[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=15#93184 date=1040392198]<br>[quote author=FSRBIKER link=board=5;threadid=12476;start=0#93096 date=1040355773]<br>These kick ass...<br><br>http://www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html<br><br>http://www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com/photo.html<br><br>--FSRBIKER<br>[/quote]<br>these bumpers look like they kick ass, but I ordered the front about 3 months ago (sent the guy a check for $535), and have been promised the bumper for the last 6 weeks. I still havn't seen it. The guy builds them in his spare time, and I understand after hours jobs. But this is rediculous. Just be warned if you order one of these, the guy won't build it without money up front, and you may never see it.<br>[/quote]

67ster

Bronco Guru
That is a good looking grille guard , at least the bends match the grille . Maybe something like that would work on mine as I do get into sagebrush , that stuff will take the paint off the corners in a hurry .