• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window Trim Stainless or Aluminum?

jcb9089

Can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I want to restore the window trim, but if it's anodized aluminum, then maintaining it will be a pain.

Is the trim stainless or aluminum?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Window and body trim is aluminum. Rocker trim is stainless.

Window trim came anodized from the factory and is very expensive to restore to stock. Most of us now opt to have them stripped and polished and do our best to maintain them.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

That's my worry, I really like the look of the trim, but is maintaining it worth it?

How do you maintain it after it's been buffed out (how often)?

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
After ya buff it out, clear coat it with a good crystal clear. If left un coated, it will dull up (oxidize) immediately. Clearcoating will keep it for a couple years at least.:cool:

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
After ya buff it out, clear coat it with a good crystal clear. If left un coated, it will dull up (oxidize) immediately. Clearcoating will keep it for a couple years at least.:cool:

If you are going to clear it, then you might as well have it powder coated with a clear powder it's much stronger. That being said, bright work with clear over it has a look to it, it does not look like natural polished metal. Personally it does not bother me but some people hate it. If you don't coat it use shark hide on it every 6 months and you will never have to worry about it oxidizing, the only time you will have to re-polish is when enough sand and other junk in the environment has dulled it, but that is a lot better than dealing with aluminum oxidation which seems like you are polishing off every other week.