• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winesalot Introduction

Winesalot

Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself and share my reason for being on this site. Growing up we owned a bronco with a 3 On The Tree. I learned to drive in a field out behind the house in that rig. After I left home and was in the Navy, I bought a 68 Bronco which was somewhere around 1987. I eventually owned two more that were parts donors for the 68. Then a wife and kids happened, and the Broncos had to go. I sure regret that decision.
Fast forward 30 years and I am looking to get back in the game. I have time. We just finished building our dream winery in the Lake Chelan Valley in Washing ton State. Over the next couple of years we will build our last house. Once the house is built my last act before quitting my day job will be to buy a Bronco.

I plan on using the next two years to learn everything I can about this upcoming purchase which is why I am on this site.

Here is what I do know: I want it to have a fuel injected engine, automatic transmission, power disk brakes, power steering, a mild lift, and somewhat oversized tires. I will likely never take it off-road but we do get snow so the 4wd needs to function. I don’t need a roll cage but if it isn’t in the way I am ok with it. I will probably use the hard top in the winter and no top in the summer. I am very mechanically inclined and perfectly capable of doing a full body off restoration (minus the body and paint) but I do not want to, lol. We already own a 64-1/2 Mustang Convertible and my son and I are going to do a full restoration on that. I don’t mind if the Bronco needs some of the upgrades I listed but the reality is I will likely pay someone to do the work. To that end I am going to want a mostly restored machine. This will be my daily driver although I won't do much driving other than zipping around our beautiful valley and quick trips to the hardware store.

I am sure I will have questions an will participate in a few discussions but mostly I will be lurking on this sight and absorbing information.

Cheers!!!

Alan

chuckyb

Contributor
Welcome to the site. I also have a 68 Bronco and 64 1/2 Mustang. This site was truly the best resource for restoring my Bronco. One thing that this site quickly convinced me of was the need for a roll cage, especially if you plan to bring your family along for the ride. Good luck.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard! Your check-list is very doable and there are plenty out there to be purchased at this very moment... As your are probably aware, the market is still pretty hot and what you want does come at a premium price.. Happy Hunting!!!

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Welcome Aboard! Sounds like a solid start to a plan for sure. X 2 on getting a cage, especially if you are going to run without a top. The market is still pretty rough but there are still some deals to be had. Be picky and get something close to what you are looking for.
Good luck with your search and post up some pics when you get one!

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard, and congrats on getting to this point. There are lots of us here with similar stories. It definitely seems like those who grow up with a Bronco, will always have them in their blood. Hope you can score a great deal on what you’re looking for.

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Welcome to the site. I also have a 68 Bronco and 64 1/2 Mustang. This site was truly the best resource for restoring my Bronco. One thing that this site quickly convinced me of was the need for a roll cage, especially if you plan to bring your family along for the ride. Good luck.

We're like brothers!!!, LOL

OK, roll bar is now on the list.

McLeod

There is at least one other member from Chelan with an Bronco on here.
Maybe you know each other?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome, Welcome Alan!!!

glad to have you aboard, and thanks for sharing your story

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WELCOME Aboard . & I'll I believe it's smart to lurk around for a while. As you can see by the number of post I have. i'm been on here for a long time .
One of the things I've noticed on this sight.
WE DO THINGS IN CYCLES. WHEN I GOT on here ... Motor Craft 2 bbl's were the thing .. Then Q-Jets.. & 2 YEARS LATER SWAPPING TO THROTTLE BODYS. Was the ticket.
& Just about that time the fuel injections came along ..
... I remember when to 4.0 V6 CAME ALONG .. NO THAT WONT FIT. & sOMEONE BUILDS ONE 6 MONTHS LATER .
.... same thing was said about the COYOTE MOTOR would never work out . PRICE & SIZE . I'LL BET IT's the most popular motor now.
.... SO READ & CONSUME more knowledge . These guys know an extremely large amount of information. It's ashamed that we didn't figure out how to get Ford Flue injection brought into this web sight . But we must have gotten 90% of it by OSMOSIS.
........& ONCE AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD
& You'll normally find me in the OFF TOPIC FORUM.

mebco09

I've lived here 4-1/2 years and never seen one.

Never seen one in Chelan!?!

I used to drive a lumber truck for LCBS and there was a guy with an uncut that always used to wave at me every time when I drove by. That was 1994 though...

You might see me or my Dad running around. His is a Wimbledon White 67' with no top. We're on your way to Manson by the Rooster.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! I had a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible for over twenty years...sold it and my Boss 302 to buy Bronco's!!!;D

You do need a good roll bar, safety first. The EFI, automatic, PDB, P/S should make for an enjoyable ride around wine country!

Norm

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Welcome, you will find there are a great bunch of guys on here that are VERY knowledgeable. On the things you describe you want (power disc brakes) I would look at '76 or '77 since this was standard on those years if Im not mistaken...good luck

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome. You may want to be checked out the shops that do restorations and see what their current time frame is to get one done for you the way you want. You may need to get on their list now or hope you can buy what you want??? Be careful there is no shortage of pigs with lipstick getting passed on. Make sure you actually look and touch before you buy. Don't trust a salesman.

Either way have fun looking.

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I have a few big projects in front of me before I can get started on the official shopping but I will spend plenty of time here lurking and learning until then. Cheers!

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Never seen one in Chelan!?!

I used to drive a lumber truck for LCBS and there was a guy with an uncut that always used to wave at me every time when I drove by. That was 1994 though...

You might see me or my Dad running around. His is a Wimbledon White 67' with no top. We're on your way to Manson by the Rooster.

Do you mean the landscape supply company on hwy 150 at Swartout Road?

mebco09

Do you mean the landscape supply company on hwy 150 at Swartout Road?

Yes, the big old barn with the metal rooster out front and all the other yard art.

I don't think they will ever sell the rooster, so that is the "landmark".

I don't drink, but I do drive others around so they can. Where is your winery? Ill make sure to bring a bronco up next time we do a wine crawl. That way you can finally say you have seen a bronco in the valley!

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Yes, the big old barn with the metal rooster out front and all the other yard art.

I don't think they will ever sell the rooster, so that is the "landmark".

I don't drink, but I do drive others around so they can. Where is your winery? Ill make sure to bring a bronco up next time we do a wine crawl. That way you can finally say you have seen a bronco in the valley!

IF you go up Winesap we're the big new building at the corner of Winsap and Veroske on your way to Benson Winery.