• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wing window frame problem -need input!

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I was trying to change out my wing window molding and found out my drivers side wing window frame is broken. Has anyone dealt with this before? can it be fixed? -Anyone have a drivers side stainless one for sale or laying around?

photo1sk.jpg

photo3xx.jpg

photo2aj.jpg

Mark

OP
OP
bajabronc

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
Its the actual frame, not the part that the glass sits in, but the frame/assembly part - the point where it broke is where the wing window pin goes through the frame area.

photo4i.jpg

getfuzzy

Sorry for the dumb question but I was at work and so pic's don.t come through the filter. It looks like it got a spot missing. I'll check to see if I have a spair but I think its a black one.

getfuzzy

well Thats what I get for thinking. Can't find It in the shop. Do you have someone that can weld stainless?

getfuzzy

We have had good luck Mig welding with Stainless Mig wire. I can't get over the gap. It looks more pulled apart than something missing. i need to find a pic of one thats not broken.

getfuzzy

Just looked at one on Toms Bronco web site and I think something is missing for the broken area. Take a look at Toms and hold your breath when you see the price. Man I'm glad mine were OK. Do you have the spring and shaft for yours?

OP
OP
bajabronc

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I have new springs and shafts coming from Tom's to fix those parts, since they were extremely rusted. I called Tom's earlier in the day and checked if they had any drivers side wing window frames, and they don't -he also told me the price for the rebuilt complete assembly, crazy expensive! I would rather deal with a permanently sealed wing window than pay that amount!

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I think the gap is supposed to be there. Otherwise it would be a real bear to install the glass and rubber. I lucked out and found a set of SS wingers on Ebay for $100. I bid on about 6 sets before I wound up with this one tho.. Rest of them went $180+

OP
OP
bajabronc

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I think there is suppose to be a hole there, but I don't think the channel is suppose to be completely separated. Does anyone else who has taken apart their wing window know?

getfuzzy

Found a pic on JBG and your frame is missing some of its metal. It's time to get another one or get a section fabed and welded in.

OP
OP
bajabronc

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
Tom's sent me some pics of how it is suppose to look, definitely broken. Now its time for me to figure out if I can fix it!

Here's how it is suppose to look

img9227a.jpg

img9228x.jpg

REDDOG

I just recently finished rebuilding my vent windows complete. The frame that holds the glass is s/s but the frame in question is mild steel. You can verify this by sticking a magnet to it. Don't get me wrong, some s/s is magnetic but what you have is mild steel and a small piece should be able to be fabed up at a local fab shop and tig welded in. I bead blasted my frames and then sent them out for zinc coating. I should never have a problem again.