• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wing window frame removal *new questions*

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am going to attempt to remove the wing window frames this afternoon... I have all new rubber and felt coming and the frames are rusty anyway...

I took a peek up inside the door and the spring and nut look pretty rusty. I sprayed them with Fluid Film to let them soak...

I am ging to guess that the nut or the threads will strip off or break... I can make a new pivot pin and new threads... no problem... what about the spring? Is that something that can be sourced locally or is it going to be Bronco specific? It doesnt look special but I figure someone has already been down that road.

Anything else I need to know about removing the frame? Some top secrect method that makes it super easy?

Greg

Last edited:

Sporto

I would love to hear of a homegrown Bronco owner remedy to the pivots and spings in these...I have been unsuccessful in ever hearing of one. The good news is that the parts are available online. LMC truck has them, so does some of the other Bronco vendors. Problem is they are expensive...

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/vent-window-pivot-repair-pin-driver-66-77-ford-bronco-new

Once you're done buying the pair, and then shipping, you're looking at 50 bucks for those little pivots. I have always been able to clean up the springs and reuse them, but typically not the pivots.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I would love to hear of a homegrown Bronco owner remedy to the pivots and spings in these...I have been unsuccessful in ever hearing of one. The good news is that the parts are available online. LMC truck has them, so does some of the other Bronco vendors. Problem is they are expensive...

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/vent-window-pivot-repair-pin-driver-66-77-ford-bronco-new

Once you're done buying the pair, and then shipping, you're looking at 50 bucks for those little pivots. I have always been able to clean up the springs and reuse them, but typically not the pivots.

Good luck!

I can make the pivot... it looks like just a threaded rod bent and flattened with a little coining step on the shaft...unless I am missing something. What I dont understand (since I havent taken them off yet) is why there is a difference in passenger side and drivers side..... The spring I cant make... ;D

Greg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it looks like just a threaded rod bent and flattened with a little coining step on the shaft...
Thats all it is, allthread works good if you have no other way to make it.

What I dont understand (since I havent taken them off yet) is why there is a difference in passenger side and drivers side.....
Not sure which part you are talking about that is diff.

Sporto

Well if you can make the pivot then you're good to go! I have taken several of these frames apart when the spring and pivot were a rusted blob, and every time with some scraping and poking, I was able to recover the spring but only once did I recover a pivot.

I am not aware of a left or right side designation, but that maybe something that someone on here with more knowledge than me can answer. Good luck.

Please post pix and if you happen to make a few extra pivots, I still need a pair... ;D

Rich

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
It is not easy removing the assembly. Phillips head bolt below the vent window, screws in outside of door frame. Have to drop the glass to bottom of door, remove felt strip inside door frame. Curse a lot. I swear, I think it would be easier to drill out spot welds and remove the whole top frame. I don't plan on doing another.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
It is not easy removing the assembly. Phillips head bolt below the vent window, screws in outside of door frame. Have to drop the glass to bottom of door, remove felt strip inside door frame. Curse a lot. I swear, I think it would be easier to drill out spot welds and remove the whole top frame. I don't plan on doing another.

I feel pretty good about it now... LOL...

Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Well if you can make the pivot then you're good to go! I have taken several of these frames apart when the spring and pivot were a rusted blob, and every time with some scraping and poking, I was able to recover the spring but only once did I recover a pivot.

I am not aware of a left or right side designation, but that maybe something that someone on here with more knowledge than me can answer. Good luck.

Please post pix and if you happen to make a few extra pivots, I still need a pair... ;D

Rich

I just saw that one at least two vendor sites they list the parts as drivers side and passengers side.

Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Well I took them both out... wasnt that bad... took me about 30 minutes at the most. But, I had a little heads up from reading a few posts on here...

Now I have a few more questions...

The frame looks pretty good... but I am guessing I need to drill out the rivets to replace the molding on the verticle piece???

Also, I would like to repaint the parts... I dont see any way to take the stainless parts that protects the finish off... I can mask it but I had rather do it right if I can.

I think I read where it is best to take the glass to a shop to have them remove it from the frame or is there an easy trick to that?

The pivot pins are shot as I suspected.... They are so rusty I cant really tell much about them. It looks like I could thread a 5/16 rod and then mill the sides down to make a flat to fit the funky little washer. Then weld a tab on it to mount it. Anything else I am missing?

I plan on just powdercoating the entire assembly...

Greg

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
Well I took them both out... wasnt that bad... took me about 30 minutes at the most. But, I had a little heads up from reading a few posts on here...

Now I have a few more questions...

The frame looks pretty good... but I am guessing I need to drill out the rivets to replace the molding on the verticle piece???

Also, I would like to repaint the parts... I dont see any way to take the stainless parts that protects the finish off... I can mask it but I had rather do it right if I can.

I think I read where it is best to take the glass to a shop to have them remove it from the frame or is there an easy trick to that?

The pivot pins are shot as I suspected.... They are so rusty I cant really tell much about them. It looks like I could thread a 5/16 rod and then mill the sides down to make a flat to fit the funky little washer. Then weld a tab on it to mount it. Anything else I am missing?

I plan on just powdercoating the entire assembly...

Greg

I had a glass shop replace the glass (the glass needed replacing it was clouding up) and install a new pivot for $25. IMHO it is not worth fooling with for that price.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am still scratching my head on the pivot pins... I have them out and was kind of scetching up what I need to make these.... I noticed that every vendor lists them as being a left hand and a right hand pivot pin... I cant see any difference in them. Mine are very rusty so maybe something has rusted away? I just cant see any reason why they are not the same part on both sides....

Anyone have any ideas?

Greg