• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiper motor roll cage question

rettus72

I have finally got around to putting the wiper assembly back on.
It is a 1966 with a 74 dash and windshield frame. (not vacuum operated) Since i purchased it has never been hooked up...
I have a drop down bracket from tom's and the wiper motor is still hitting the cage. I was wondering how much room you all have between the top bar of the cage and the windshield frame? I have 5" between the two, and I think i need more. I will post a picture in a bit.
I have adjusted the frame out as much as possible, and still have a seal on the window frame
Thanks in advance, Joel

OP
OP
rettus72

rettus72

20141013_155731_zps884034dc.jpg.html

Last edited:

nickgp

Bronco Guru
If you can't get enough clearance, you can always go with the individual electric motors. They are smaller and the ugly linkage is not used.

PaveBronco

The PO of my cage took a torch and a BFH and beat the top bar until it cleared. However when I put the cage in my bronco there is plenty of room, no need for the bashing of the cage.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Can or do you have access to a welder? If you do then here is what to do. Draw out on a piece of paper an oval that looks like a track & field running track. Make the length proper to how much clearance you need for the motor. Take that paper template and scribe it onto the offending portion of tubing of tubing and cut out the tubing. Take the template again and lay it into the cut out area and make sure it fits-it probably needs to be a touch longer. Cut out the template onto a piece of 1/8" plate and slowly work it into the cut out area. Stitch weld in the new piece, smooth, out and finish with your desired coating. Its either that or cut out the crossbar and put in another further back that clears.

OP
OP
rettus72

rettus72

Thanks for the information, I do have a welder so it looks like i am going to nothch it out.
once again, Thanks

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^^ AFI makes them, WH and other vendors sell them as a kit. Also know there's downsides to the 2 motor setup as well, like syntonization if that's important to you...

IMG_6618.jpg