• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiper motors vacuum vs electric

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
Trying to get windshield re-installed. My 67 came with vacuum wipers. I’ve lived them and tested with a vacuum pump. A friend gave me an electric setup from a 74? The electric setup does not fit. Anyone else converted from vacuum to electric. Did you have to lengthen the linkage and drill out the holes to get the mechanism to push through to the wiper blades? Anyone still running the vacuum wipers?
Thanks
Karl

Attachments

• 7E4394BE-2BDD-42BC-8BFF-BAC519A1886D.jpg
    7E4394BE-2BDD-42BC-8BFF-BAC519A1886D.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48

gick70

I lengthen the linkage to fit the holes in the windshield frame!! So I could just use the existing holes!!

68Broncoz

Contributor
The first time I drilled a new hole and used the linkage. On my restoration I welded them up and drilled new for the stock electric location so the visors cover etd fit correctly.

That said thenpassenger wipe is pretty far over.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I didn't want to drill new holes and patch the old ones so I mounted the motor where the passenger side linkage worked and then extended the driver side linkage.

chuckyb

Contributor
The holes are different on the windshields for the electric wiper models. I went with a 73 windshield during my 68 restoration to accommodate stock electric wipers. Also note that the bolt holes for the roof are different on the older windshields so it creates another consideration if you are still running your original hardtop.

OP
OP
onpier55

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
Thanks for the responses. Found these by accident while searching for wiper blades. I will probably go this route. I don’t care about synchronized wiper blades. This will probably be more compact less fabrication. Less time too. Wild Horses has been an awesome supplier.

Attachments

• B6AF4F80-27EE-4832-898C-F973630434BB.jpg
    B6AF4F80-27EE-4832-898C-F973630434BB.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 28

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the responses. Found these by accident while searching for wiper blades. I will probably go this route. I don’t care about synchronized wiper blades. This will probably be more compact less fabrication. Less time too. Wild Horses has been an awesome supplier.

If you purchase this switch you can get them to sync. I removed the knob and attached the billet knobs that I had on the old switch.

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cole-hersee-75601-14-bx/switch-wiper-w-knob-p-v30-7560114bx

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been looking at those motors also, with that switch Jaromy linked I may go ahead and do that. Thank you sir's.

lgdpt

Im going to do that kit too.... I want the extra room for my roll bar and want to ditch the finger guillotine.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Im going to do that kit too.... I want the extra room for my roll bar and want to ditch the finger guillotine.

The added room for the roll bar was the reason I did it. It gets the header bar out of the way

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Here is the quick drawing I created for the wiring of the switch

Attachments

• Wiper switch.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 19