• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiring and 351w efi questions

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
im getting ready to replace my wiring harness im tired of tracking down wiring problems.which harness manufacturers have the best setup?plus im fixing to drop a factory 95 351w with afactory efi harness how will these tw o tie in together?i wont be wasting my time with the first harness will I?please help!thanks kevin.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Centech makes the best EB harness. Sorry I can't snaswer your EFI harness question, but I know it has been done. Tonto here on the board has a 351 EFi in his rig. He may be able to answer your second question.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
If you have the money to do it right, ditch that harness and go with this one . . .

Ryan's EFI Harness

The web site doesn't have any pics of his finished harness-but he can e-mail you all the info. Best EFI harness out there for a Bronco.

-ok, found the link to his thread-

EFI Harness Mass Buy Thread

U

unregistered

Does the factory 351w speed density fit under the hood w/o a body lift?(I have a scoop). I have considered doing this swap...

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Nope-not really, I have a 2 in body lift and a hood bubble, and everything fits except the EGR. You still have to cut a hole for that, and now one currently makes a hood that can contain the EGR, even with a 3 in. body lift.

You can either go with the Franken-hood look, or bite the bullet like I'll be doing soon and go MAF and get the lower profile Mustang-style intake.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
There is a bunch of stuff to reply about here:

4x4man514 said:
im fixing to drop a factory 95 351w with afactory efi harness how will these tw o tie in together?i wont be wasting my time with the first harness will I?

If done corectly, there are only 3 wires that would ever connect the body harenss to the EFI harenss:
Keyed power
Oil PSI gauge
Temp gauge

mlogan24 said:
If you have the money to do it right, ditch that harness and go with this one . . .

Ryan's EFI Harness

Thanks man, just try'n to help out the masses. Here is an old version:
prototype_harness_5.JPG

I have sense then included a Inertia cut off plug and a connector for the Baumann Trans controler. Comes "pre-wired" for A/C or OBA
Also 3G ALT plugs are an "Extra" option

unkown said:
Does the factory 351w speed density fit under the hood w/o a body lift?(I have a scoop). I have considered doing this swap...

Umm? Simple answer is no, but I know of a person that has done it. it took a 3" body lift and custom hood that gave an extra 3" of clearance. It's just a big pain in the butt to try in such a small truck.

mlogan24 said:
You can either go with the Franken-hood look, or bite the bullet like I'll be doing soon and go MAF and get the lower profile Mustang-style intake.

Not 100% true. I've built MAF sytems using that big intake, and I've built speed density systems with the newer intake.
Anything is possible, just not always the easiest, best, or cheapest. You pick the combonation I can wire it ;)

swmhuskie

Loc.
Des Moines, Ia
I got in on that mass buy and Ryan is great about answer questions. I do have more if he or other can help. I also am doing this to a 351w. I am going to be using MAF so apparently i don't need to worry about the EGR being in the way , correct?? So then the only concern is have a low enough profile manifold, correct? So i ask ya, what hight do i have to work with ( i would check myself but one i don't have it in yet, and two it is in another state) I have a 2inch lift, but not a bubble. I don't want a bubble! Do i have any options? Thanks for the help-kyle

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
The "problem" intake is from trucks:
getfile.php

The throttle body / EGR / throttle cable braket all require lots of room under the hood. Must have a hood buble.

The car style intake:
getfile.php

Fits much better, the 302 engine and intake will fit with no buble or body lift. The 351 needs a body lift so the back of the intake deos not hit / rub on the firewall.

EDIT: why don't my pictures show up? You might have to open them in a new broser folks

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
forgive me fellas as i know little about efi,but isnt the egr for smog purposes?My eb has a 2" body lift and i intend on putting some type of cowl induction hood or some other moderate,non-frankenhood.if the egr is the only problem,do i really need it to make the efi work properly?i live in ga and we dont have strict emission laws like in ca, so that should not be an issue.thanks,kevin.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Just a quick follow-up to 4x4man514's question . . .

If you are refering to using a SD system, then you do need to have the EGR hooked up. (Ryan-please correct if wrong ;D )

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
You can remove the EGR system from any 86-95 Ford EFI system. No mater speed density or mass air. As long as you remove it correctly it's acceptable on both systems.

KST1

Ryan said:
As long as you remove it correctly it's acceptable on both systems.

Can you give us any more information on the "correct way"? I currently have the solenoids wired in but no vaccum hooked to them. I know you mention this breifly on your site, but I would still like more info.

Thanks in advance! 8)

-D

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Still working on that. You need a resistor to convert the 5volt sig-rtn circuit to 04-0.6 volts. I have a resistor value picked out that does this, just need people to test it out to make sure t works.

9.1 million ohm
WHITE / BROWN / GREEN / RED

It's not confermed to be the corect vaule yet, but for under a $1 it's not expensive to try out.

Install it, drive the vehicle, and check for codes