• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would 302 headers fit a 289???

dnix

Loc.
Las Vegas NV.
I have a chance to get equal length headers off of a 302 Mustang and was wondering would they bolt up to a 289 heads? Thanks, Dave.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
289 vs. 302 external dimensions and exhaust mounting are identical. so
no issue mating header to the head. but I have no idea how well
a mustang header will fit into a bronco engine compartment.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As was mentioned above they will bolt to the block. The problems most have with the aftermarket headers is that most either run straight into the frame rail or the interfere with the transmission linkage. I personally run stock Mustang Shorties on mine but I also do not have tranny linkage to worry about since I use a cable shifter. My exhaust also sits a little higher with the 5.8 than it does with the 289/302 so I have extra room above the frame that you wouldn't.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I run Hedman's on my 302 and they fit well. I looked on their site and noticed they do not list an application for the 289, intresting. So anyway, you might want to call them up at (562) 921-0404 and see what they say. I would be intrested in what you find out.