• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WTB a welder~ what should I be looking at?

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I have gathered Tig is a better more universal form of welding when it comes to delicate materials (body work).

I would rather not spend 1800.00 as a matter of fact I don't want to spend 800.00 but that may or may not be fees-able.

I figured I would ask my Bronco brothers what I should get. 120/240 either is fine, I can wire up whatever I may need. I am not a welder by trade so I don't need an 80% duty cycle.

what are you all using, what did it cost, and can you give me any advice?

L.R. :cool:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For normal auto body work, a 110V 120-135A MIG welder is the ideal machine. TIG is not..definitely not..the preferred welding method for routine body sheetmetal work.

If you want a good all-purpose machine, get a 220V MIG welder in the 175-200A service range. Best of all worlds.

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I forgot to mention, I build scale models and would like to be able to tack steel brake line and other small thin stuff together. from what I have read MIG burns through the light stuff really easily. Maybe I can get a better MIG machine and be ok?

this is why I asked here~

L.R.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
x2 on the 220v.I bought a Hobart 187 ($700)a few years ago and it has done everything I need.The gas is a plus too.The tig is nice but not as versatile as the mig.IMO

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With MIG you can weld "cold" really easily. That means you can "stick" a weld on about anything without introducing much heat in to whatever it is you are welding on.

TIG requires that the base metal target area be heated to molten so that the filler metal can be added. Once you are really good at TIG welding, you can indeed weld very tiny parts together. But it takes a lot of skill and practice and ..it takes both hands to do it. Before you get that good, you will be far more likely to burn holes through the light stuff with TIG than with a properly set up MIG.

pa69broncoguy

220 mig you wont regret going bigger but you can regret not having it big enough. Mine is a 120 and I have to use a stick welder for my thick stuff. Some day im hoping to get a nice 220 miller.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Get a 220 machine for sure-- if you want to weld thick to really thin it works great-- gas is a must unless you want the welds to honestly look subpar. TIG is absolutely awesome but requires ALOT of practice to be just ok at and honestly requires some study and instruction if you want to really be good at. Personally I am an ESAB fan-- I own an Esab migmaster 215 pro and really like it. Best machine honestly I have ever used is the Esab Migmaster 250-- older machine but man it welds like butter!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personally I am an ESAB fan-- I own an Esab migmaster 215 pro and really like it. Best machine honestly I have ever used is the Esab Migmaster 250-- older machine but man it welds like butter!

My shop TIG is an ESAB 252 and the shop MIG is an ESAB 250....I've been an ESAB fan for decades.

That said..the newer equipment buys we're doing are Miller, Lincoln and Thermal Dynamics. I'm just seeing better value in their products these days. My .02

dougsride

you may want to check out duty cycle on welder you buy. higher the better. do not buy a gasless mig as weld quality will suffer. you definitely get what you pay for . I use a snap on 120 volt on a dedicated 20 amp line. it has a 100 percent duty cycle and has been a workhorse. a good welder in the mig class is gonna run from 1 to over 2 grand counting tank and helmet and such.
get an auto helmet, you will love it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
x2 on the 220v.I bought a Hobart 187 ($700)a few years ago and it has done everything I need.The gas is a plus too.The tig is nice but not as versatile as the mig.IMO

X2 on this. I also got a Hobart 187. Perfect "jack of all trades" welder.
IMHO the only thing better is the multi plug Miller. A very versatile machine.

mortimersnerd

A sense of your budget will really help. If you can swing it, take a look at the multi-process Thermal Arc welders. I've got a TA 211i and am really happy with it.

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
I have been going to a buddies shop to weld but finally looking at getting one as well for the house, i'm looking at something like the Millermatic 211 Mig Welder w/Autoset or something similar. Anyone have any experience with em?

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
many or at least a few of you either did not read my original post or simply skimmed through it.

I give what I want to spend, and I mentioned duty cycle. like most everyone I want the best bang for my buck, with the most universal welder I can find. Honestly most of the time it is going to sit in the shop and collect dust. I am a hobbyist, not a professional metal fabricator. I work with small 1/8th inch rod and brakeline along with brass, and light weight steel (lighter than body panels) however I would also like to be able to patch up a few holes in the trail truck, and do whatever else may need "fixing".

L.R.

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
the above post isn't meant as a slam to anyone, I just don't have a clue as to what I should be looking for and was hoping to get some solid help from you guys.

thanks!

L.R. :cool:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Buy a Miller 211 on eBay. There are several authorized sellers who will ship it to your door for a grand. I spent $1300 and got a spool gun, too. I built my own cart from scrap, leased a pair of large bottles, bought gloves, cheapo auto hood, a few small rolls of wire, spare tips, clamps, vise grips, added a 220 outlet in my side yard, & had the whole thing ready to weld steel, stainless, or Aluminum from 22ga to 3/8" for about $1800. It's a big investment, but it works, even for a NOVICE welder like me. And if I ever want to sell it, it'll be easy. Cheap machines are yours forever.

. . . . .

BTW
Any Miller that says "MVP" has the dual plug.