• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Xylene or Acetone?

wildhorses76

Loc.
Kaplan, Louisiana
I bought some Durabak and the instructions say use only Xylene to clean the surfaces with before applying bedliner.

I have been to some parts stores and when I ask about Xylene they look at me funny.......Is Acetone similar or should I do exactly what they say and find some Xylene?

Also, where can I find Xylene at? Thanks in advance;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
NO, acetone is not similar. Xylene is typically sold as Xylol at hardware stores. They should have it at Lowes or Home Depot. If not go to a good neighborhood ACE or True Value; they will have it. Toluene would also be acceptable, but xylene (xylol) is a little more "safe" on the environmental side. Either way, when you use these solvents, please keep in mind they are extremely flammable. If you can, store the waste solvents and take it in when you take in your oil or when your local community has their "tox days" when you can bring in old paint, batteries, etc. Just dont pour it down your drains...%)

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
My brother sprays on bedliners and uses Acetone to clean just about everything. Stuff doesn't smell too nice, but will cut through anything.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sometimes you can out smart yourself and use too strong of a solvent as a cleaner that softens or lifts the underlying base causing poor adhesion. Don't know if that is the case here but something to consider if you deviate from the mfgs recomendations.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Xylene is a solvent like toluene and benzine, but slower drying which is good when you're trying to wet and clean an area for surface prep. Acetene dries significantly quicker which can lead to not fully degreasing an area without multiple passes.

Xylol is the commercial branding name for a solution of the three common xyline isomers, ortho-, meta-, and para-xyline (o-, m-, & p- for short). All of the usual precautions with respect to gloves and respirators should be followed.

Pshh...and I thought chemistry was a waste of time.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The reason xylene is used is more because it is non-carcinogenic...which is probably only partly true. Benzene is a known carcinogen (cancer causing agent), toluene is a "suspect carcinogen" but it considered TOXIC and xylene, well its not yet classified as a carcinogen, only as an IRRITANT. Either way, wear gloves, try to catch your waste and dispose of it properly with other organic solvents or oil.

Acetone is a totally different solvent and class of material. It and alcohols are not recommended to be used with urethanes oftentimes becasue they can negatively affect the cross-linking of the polymer. Alcohols (there are many) can ruin a polymer in many cases if they ares used to dilute the components. Just follow the directions on the Durabak and you will be fine.

OP
OP
wildhorses76

wildhorses76

Loc.
Kaplan, Louisiana
Thanks guys!!! Looks like I will get what they recommend..........

Now time to get a respirator/mask so I can use with the Xylene and Durabak.....;D

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Home depot and lowes carry Xylol which is zylene. I called Durabak they said acetone or MEK would work fine too. I went ahaead and got the xylol anyway.

Its funny even the auto color supply did not know what xylene was, when I asked them.

OP
OP
wildhorses76

wildhorses76

Loc.
Kaplan, Louisiana
I hear ya....I think I will go ahead and use the Xylene anyways too! ....Everyone would look at me with a blank stare?:? when I asked them....Thanks again guys!

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
you just need to go to an auto parts store that isnt a autozone or something like that i have 6 gallons on the shelf at my store

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Although not recommended, i used Lacquer Thinner and a stiff plastic brush to clean the inside of my truck before i did Duraback, so far, no adhesion problems after 2 years