• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

York compressor bracket

valveamp

Hello...I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience mounting a York Compressor bracket on a Ford 302. I've had a used York compressor for years that I picked up with the intent for using it for on-board air. At that time, it wa for a Jeep, but since Jeep never used a York compressor, it required fabricating a bracket and trying to figure out how to mount it (Jeep had AC already). I know Ford used York compressors, so there are brackets made for Ford engines. I currently have an alternator and power steering pump installed. Where would the compressor bracket mount? Anyone done this already? What are the "ins and outs"? Really like to have an engine mounted compressor if it's not a big deal to mount. Fall back is to install an electric motor compressor. I've got an Extremeair compressor that came off the Jeep I could install. Thanks.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have a York compressor converted to OBA, and it is awesome. I already had the compressor mounted, a previous owner had install AC. The mount that I found under mine was nothing more than a couple pieces of 1/4" plate, really simple. Don't think I snapped any pictures. Mine is mounted horizontal, so I do get some oil. I did mount a separator, but I will be changing to a better separator down the road. Mine is on ALT side, above ALT. If you can mount vertical, do it, but I just don't see room available.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
There are a couple of different mounts for a York, passengers or drivers side. The aftermarket companies used to make a few different flavors but they have all gone to Sanden style compressors and have quit making the old style York brackets. Check out the old Mustang/Cougar/Maverick mounts. anything pre '70 SBF should be pretty easy to adapt and may just bolt on. Sometimes older aftermarket brackets pop up on ebay. Maybe post up a wanted ad as someone may have one laying around that they have no use for. There are several specialty companies that build onboard air systems that make brackets as well but they are pricey.

All of my old Jeeps had York compressors. I know they used York exclusively on the AMC V8's. Maybe the I6's were different.

thorgan

There's a factory bracket that attaches to the driver's side cylinder head. It's basically an "L" shape flipped upside down. Cast iron. I think that there's another support bracket that bolts on somehow but it's been so long that I don't remember what it looks like. I imagine that any small block ford you find in a junkyard with a York will have the brackets you need.

I ended up with a lot of oil in my compressed air since the factory bracket mounts the pump horizontally (even though I did the pump mod to cut down on the oil). I ended up doing a whole serpentine project where I mounted the steering pump high and on the passenger side with a Sanden compressor for future air conditioning beneath. Alternator is mounted just driver side of center above the water pump and the York is farther to the driver side but mounted upright. I used an Explorer water pump for the best clearance for an electric fan (I went with a MK VIII fan). The whole thing was a LOT of fabrication and took some fussing to get the belt alignment right. The setup works GREAT but I don't recommend going the custom bracket route due to the amount of work required.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I did the pump mod also, still a fair bit of oil. I am hopeful that I need to reach a happy spot on the oil capacity, and then less oil will pump out. Hopeful, but not real confident. The pump mod, if I remember correctly, flip the internals so that output is on top when York is mounted horizontal. I had thoughts of plumbing the separator back to the fill port on the York. I may not have the needed hood clearance, and I am not sure there would be enough pressure to pump uphill......

gremlin

the intake side needs to be on the top. you can unbolt the head and turn it over. then plug the passage at the front bearing. should take care off oil usage.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Thanks,guys.......Slowleak, that bracket you put up the link for is what started me thinking about the OBA with the York. I wasn't sure if that bracket would work with my setup or event if it really is a factory bracket.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The serpentine application for York compressors on 302s was on the early Fox body Mustangs. They mounted them high on the driver's side above the p/s pump. I used to occasionally see them in the junkyards but haven't seen one in years.

Todd Z.