• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF 5 Speed, Dana 20 AA Kit, JB Twin Stick and BC Broncos Crossmember

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
I am in the process of installing a ZF 5 speed in my 76 Bronco Sport, J shift Dana 20. In addition to the BC Crossmember, and AA install kit I have a JB Custom Fab twin stick.

For some reason my AA kit does not have the drill mark for top. When I had the transmission on the floor I checked numerous times and verified the clocking ring only fit the transmission one way. I used the center threaded holes (AA clocking ring has three choices) and put it all together. My shifter did not fit. I contacted JB Custom Fab (awesome customer service from the owner) and sent him some pics. He pointed out the shift rails were at an angle. He told me it looked like I had the case too high. So, I used the next set of holes and rotated the case down some, the shifter fit perfectly.

Last night I put the engine (91 Thunderbird 5.0) and transmission in the truck. Today I put the Transfer case and twin stick in, all seemed to be going well. Then I go to put the front drive shaft on and the CV joint hits the cross member, there is not enough room to put the front shaft on. I put a ½ inch bushing between the transmission and the crossmember and it still does not fit.

So, now I’m thinking I have a clocking issue with the AA kit.

I pulled it back out, took the clocking ring off the transfer case and screwed some studs into it and crawled back under the truck. It only fits the ZF one way.

So, anyone else using these same parts? I would think the BC cross member and AA kit would work together, do I need to buy the BC shifter, or should the JB Custom fab shifter work?

I’m not digging on either business, I have done a lbusiness with BC over the years, and JB has done more than enough to make me happy. Both places are great to deal with.

I’m thinking either I did something wrong, or the AA ring is defective, and there is some happy medium where the case will be clocked up slightly, and the drive shaft will fit, and the twin stick should still work. The fact that my AA clocking ring does not have top labeled like ones I have seen on here do bothers me. Also the shifter bracket I got with the AA kit looks like some high school kid welded it together. Perhaps I need a new bracket, and to use the center hole on the clocking ring.

Any advice? I’m going to call BC tomorrow and see what they have to say, hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We built our shifters for the "stock" clocking as per AA, and referencing the shifters flags as level.
This made sense since the driveline angle would not be made steeper by using that clocking position
If the consensus is that most people are not using that clocking location, we would certainly consider a re-design. The "J" shift transfer cases allow no room for error as the "T" type have an adjustable linkage that will allow a certain amount of misalignment.
It would be difficult to have jigs, and to stock all clocking positions of every application of "J" type cases so everyone’s input is very much appreciated.

Jon

OP
OP
Bronc076

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Jon,

I'm trying to figure out which set of holes puts the T-Case in the stock position.

I was thinking about calling you but I have bugged you enough. After emailing with you I thought I had it all sorted out, but now my front drive shaft won't fit as the BC crossmember is in the way. I think I either still have something wrong, or there is some issue with the AA adapter.

Which holes in the AA ring put the transfer case in the stock position? The center hole had the transfer case too high, as you pointed out in the first set of pics I sent you. so I rotate it down and now the front drive shaft won't fit as the crossmember is in the way.

Unless I have the wrong crossmember, or I have it in wrong, which does not seem likely as mine looks like all the ones I have seen on here.

Your shiftier is nice.

OP
OP
Bronc076

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
I just talked to the guys at BC, they said use the center set of holes, and to make my shifter work I need to modify the bracket I got from AA, as it only works with the T shift case.

Also, I hope I did not come across as saying anything negative about JB Custom Fab. John has been great to work with, builds a quality product with great customer service.

Trigger

I had to rotate my transfer case to get my driveline to fit past the BC crossmember. I did not use the supplied bracket for the shifter as it would have taken a lot to make it work. I modified my twin sticks to use heim joints at the twin sticks and shift rails with pieces of all thread between them so I had some adjustment. It has never shifted so good.

707Bronk

I am in the same boat.

I have the same setup, except I have a T-Shift. I also had to clock the dana20 to clear the BC Crossmember, but that screwed up the geometry for the shifter bracket (I don't think the AA shifter bracket would hold up anyways).

I had to make my own bracket. I wasn't too happy about the way the bracket turned out then, and want to make a few changes. The bracket functioned well with the JB shifters and the shifting was smooth, but I made a 3-piece bracket that was a PITA to remove with the tunnel cover back on.

I currently have the dana20 back out for terralow gears, but would like to make a better bracket to mount the JB Fab twin sticks before it all goes back together.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I just modified the JB bracket for mine and it works great.

photobucket-2749-1325550372772.jpg

Henry

707Bronk

I just modified the JB bracket for mine and it works great.

Henry

Looks good, I was a little worried about the pivot bolt shearing. Guess I shouldn't be...

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the other side of the bracket?

Last edited:

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Looks good, I was a little worried about the pivot bolt shearing. Guess I shouldn't be...

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the other side of the bracket?

Sorry I don't have another pic. Now that the body is on it would be difficult.

Henry

OP
OP
Bronc076

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Nice to hear I am not the only one having this issue. I got it sorted out today.

Here is the position where the AA bracket work with the JB twin stick.

SB001.jpg

Note it is in the left most hole.

SB002.jpg

According to the guy at BC the center hole needs to be used, as that is the stock position. This makes sense as to why my front drive shaft would not go on. So, I need to modify my AA bracket so the shifter maintains the same orientation to the transfer case when the center holes are used. No problem, just move the holes, I have a drill press and a welder, should be easy, right.

First I figure out where the holes need to be. The 3/4” pieces of poly are to mimic the thickness of the transmission (hope my wife don’t miss that cutting board). Later I realized with the shift rails all the way in I could bolt the shift bracket directly to the adapter and check alignment.

SB003.JPG

This is where it gets sloppy. What I lack in welding ability, I make up for with creativity and grinding skills. :)

SB004.JPG

SB005.JPG

On hole sorted, now the other.

SB006.JPG

SB007.JPG

A quick coat of rattlecan and it is ready to go.

SB008.JPG

SB009.JPG

This moved the sticks toward the center of the truck a bit, which is nice as they were too close to my leg in the other position. Everything works now, and my front shaft will fit. Unfortunately I have a hole the size of Texas in my floor now, but I can weld that up and grind it smooth. I’m doing a spray in bed liner floor so I will need to do some body work on the tunnel so it looks good when done.

Thanks all for your help.

Mike.thespike

Loc.
Powell River B.C
thanks for posting these pics I recently just picked my zf trans and have been searching every where for pics like this if you t happen to take the adapter off your transfer case could you take some more would be really interested in seeing how everything go's together your post has been a great help

707Bronk

Sorry I don't have another pic. Now that the body is on it would be difficult.

Henry

Yes it would be. Thanks for sharing, that is what I originally wanted to do, but I don't have 220V in my garage to run my welder ?:?

707Bronk

Broncoo76 - Looks great! That is what I originally wanted to do, but didn't have a welder. Can't wait to move and setup my shop again.

Instead of welding the tunnel cover back on, you might want to make a removable cover.

OP
OP
Bronc076

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
thanks for posting these pics I recently just picked my zf trans and have been searching every where for pics like this if you t happen to take the adapter off your transfer case could you take some more would be really interested in seeing how everything go's together your post has been a great help

If I have that adapter off again I will not be happy, but I will snap some pics for you.

Good luck on your upgrade, it is fun.

OP
OP
Bronc076

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Good work man. Looks great.

Thank you!

Broncoo76 - Looks great! That is what I originally wanted to do, but didn't have a welder. Can't wait to move and setup my shop again.

Instead of welding the tunnel cover back on, you might want to make a removable cover.

Thank you!

I have thought about a tunnel cover, but really I just need to patch the hole where the old T Case shifter was, and make my current hole small enough so the boot covers it. My hole for the ZF is spot on. When I get closer to spray in bed liner time, I will get all that sorted out, or some day when I am in the mood for welding. Unless someone sells a ready made cover that I can just re-cut and screw down, that might be an option.

707Bronk

Thank you!

Thank you!

I have thought about a tunnel cover, but really I just need to patch the hole where the old T Case shifter was, and make my current hole small enough so the boot covers it. My hole for the ZF is spot on. When I get closer to spray in bed liner time, I will get all that sorted out, or some day when I am in the mood for welding. Unless someone sells a ready made cover that I can just re-cut and screw down, that might be an option.

FYI - Toms Bronco sells tunnel cover panels that you can cut down to fit. A little pricey though.