• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Zf tranny questions

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Hey guys , after about six years I'm finally starting to get my burned up bronco back together. When they blasted my frame I had them blast the tranny too. Today I started looking over it better and I took the top shifter cover off and found some grit in there. I had it wrapped pretty good but I guess high pressure sand has a way of finding its way in. Upon looking a little deeper I seen some surface rust on the gears as we'll. It didn't look bad but there again I could only see in there a little bit.

My question is is there a good way to flush this thing out without taking the tranny apart? An should I worry much about the rust? Or should I take it somewhere? And how much is the going price for going thru one of these? I went all through the old bronco tranny so I know a little bit but I imagine this will be a lot more involved. And my transfer case is still attached so I was hoping to avoid some of the extra work with my bad back.

Thanks for the input guys!

Amac70

ME
the rust i would not worry about the sand i would worry about. sounds like time to tare it down and clean.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I think the sand is isolated up around the shifter,again I have no way to be certain. I considered turning it upside down and spraying break cleaner or something similar in it. If I took the two plates off each side would I be able to get in there enough to clean?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id actually put it in each gear and spin it over a few times in each gear then drain and put the diesel and spin again then it should be flushed fairly well. A little rust really wont hurt much. After you get it on the road you may want to change the oil after say 500 miles. by then any other rust should be worn off and in the oil.
Not sure how much a shop would charge to rebuild it but if it was doing well before I would probably hold off.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thanks for the info guys! I wound up taking the top off and filling it with diesel. Then I rotated it in each gear. A couple of them took a small amount of coercing to get started but rotated smooth afterwards. I then drained the fuel and wow was it nasty. I pulled the pot plates off and dang was there a lot of trash! Used a rag and some wd40 with a straw to spray it out. It was much worse than I expected but I feel good about it now. Thanks again!