• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on Bilsteins

rnrmp

Loc.
owasso
looking to put on the cage front shock hoops soon. My rig mostly cruising around town and some 2s and easy 3s at OCBR. Wondering if anyone has used the 5125 with the 170/60 valving as single or double. Same for the rear. Or have you used the 5125s with the 255/70 valving. I currently have the JD 70/30s and really stiff ride. 3.5 susp lift and 33s by 12.5. I know some of you will be wanting to say dont use doubles on a DD, just entertain me.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i'll be the first to say duals are un-necessary when done properly. i have 7100's with 360/80 valving up front, and 5125's with 255/70 in the rear. i don't think you can get any other valving in the 5125's. also 255/70 will be too soft up front, i tried it and it was WAY too spongy.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Coat them with Nylac before taking them through mud.... The finish on Bilsteins likes to rust

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
If you're going to run a pair of 5125's why not just buy a single 7100 instead? The 7100's are rebuildable so you can change the valving to suit your needs and you can't do that with the 5125's.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're going to run a pair of 5125's why not just buy a single 7100 instead? The 7100's are rebuildable so you can change the valving to suit your needs and you can't do that with the 5125's.

Not exactly an answer to the question you asked...but I agree with BroncoMark. I have single 7100's on the front that replaced dual shocks that came with WH 3 1/2 suspension lift. It handles a lot better on the road.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
If you are running stock radius arms the single shock will be fine. If you do most of your driving offroad and run the long arms that cage sells a single will be fine as well. If you run the long cage arms or duffs for that matter, and you drive it on the road then you will NEED dual stiffies on each corner. Ask me how I know?! Oh yeah and a single 360/80 won't do much in this application either unless you drive like granny.

Ben

OP
OP
rnrmp

rnrmp

Loc.
owasso
Nick, what shocks are you referring to? Duals or singles on the corners?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Ben- My cage arms function great with dual Cage shocks...running the Deaver coils. It handles pretty good, actually. Sorry to hijack, but I have seen Ben make this statement several times and I disagree.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ben- My cage arms function great with dual Cage shocks...running the Deaver coils. It handles pretty good, actually. Sorry to hijack, but I have seen Ben make this statement several times and I disagree.

I was thinking about asking how the Cage shocks handle - but it was a little off topic. Would the assumption be correct that the Cage shocks are valved to work in pair with the Cage coils?

The guys over at FullSizeBronco.com really like the Bilsteins...

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Everybody likes the Bilsteins. At the time, I bought all the Cage hard parts and the longer shocks and held off on the springs as I wasnt sure about 3.5 vs 5.5"...I ended up not doing the Cage springs b/c they werent selling direct and I already had a trip to JBG in the works...the Deavers were supposed to be awesome. I am not disappointed in any way shape or fashion. One of my buddies, who used to own a Bronco and be a member here (now is into Jeeps), rode in my Bronco this morning for the first time and couldnt believe the ride quality.

Most people have the dual shocks are bad impression from the old-school setups. I ran an old school dual shock setup for ~8 yrs... And I agree, with the proper valving in a quality shock, two shocks are not needed...new school or old school. BUT, the valving in the cage shocks works well in a dual-configuration with the long arms...it was designed that way. I am sure the long arms would perform equally well with single 7100s and an F250 mount. All in all the cost is about the same...but thats due to the Cage dual mounts costing a little over $140.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Everybody likes the Bilsteins. At the time, I bought all the Cage hard parts and the longer shocks and held off on the springs as I wasnt sure about 3.5 vs 5.5"...I ended up not doing the Cage springs b/c they werent selling direct and I already had a trip to JBG in the works...the Deavers were supposed to be awesome. I am not disappointed in any way shape or fashion. One of my buddies, who used to own a Bronco and be a member here (now is into Jeeps), rode in my Bronco this morning for the first time and couldnt believe the ride quality.

Most people have the dual shocks are bad impression from the old-school setups. I ran an old school dual shock setup for ~8 yrs... And I agree, with the proper valving in a quality shock, two shocks are not needed...new school or old school. BUT, the valving in the cage shocks works well in a dual-configuration with the long arms...it was designed that way. I am sure the long arms would perform equally well with single 7100s and an F250 mount. All in all the cost is about the same...but thats due to the Cage dual mounts costing a little over $140.

That is good to hear - I've got a complete Cage suspension setup for the front of the EB.

CodeeB

Loc.
Atlanta
I'm running Duff's Extended Radius Arms, single 7100s, B.C. Bronco's 4.5 front springs, F 250 shock mounts and 35 inch Pro Comp Mud Terrains and I love this combo. It handles great and rides great . Before that I had dual Rancho 9000s, B.C. 3.5 in. springs, stock Radius Arms, Duffs Dual Shock mounts and the same 35s and it did not ride as well as the present set up. It wasn't bad but not nearly as good as the present set up.