• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting issues

DScott76Bronco

I have a 76 with the original 302 / 2brl carburetor. It cranks and runs good with one exception. If it sits more than a couple of hours, I have to pump and pump the gas pedal and turn the engine over repeatedly until it gets gas to the carburetor. When it finally hits, it runs great.
This bronco has been in my family for over 30 years, and this issue has been present as long as I can remember. It does not seem like it should be this way.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Doug

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
That long and no change, I'd check for choke operating and look down carb, move accelerator linkage and see if it instantly shoots gas when moved.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to CB DScott.
Even though it's been doing it for-just-about-ever, when was the last time you had it tuned up? Or at least the carb adjusted?
How many miles on it now, and how long since last tune and/or fuel pump change?

Just checking, because those things do get old, even if you've only got 10 miles on it, it's not just the mileage, it's the years, when it comes to things like seals and pump diaphragms.

In '76 all the manufacturers were still just beginning to figure out the whole "smog thing and were trying all sorts of new ideas. One common method was to jet the carburetor extra lean. Which in turn sometimes made starting a little harder. Maybe your ignition system is a bit weaker now that it's old too, so it's even harder to fire off the lean mixture.
Was your truck originally delivered/owned in a higher elevation and now is lower? Might have been adjusted for high-altitude and is now literally starving for fuel.
Just a few ideas to throw out. Give us some more info and we'll flail it around and see what comes out of the centrifuge!

Paul

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
might look at this option...

Chances are you have a motorcraft.... Look at the accelerator pump. These can go bad, and be adjusted to run without (very poorly).... The choke will hide it, especially if its vacuum operated! I think a good carb rebuild will do it, anyone else? Muddn7