• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Thermostat - Need to flush coolant?

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I picked up at 195f thermostat and would like to swap out the old one. I know it is a good time to flush the coolant etc but I'd rather not (it's pretty new). Am I going to have coolant everywhere if I attempt to disconnect the hoses and remove the coolant outlet housing or is it doable without much mess?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I picked up at 195f thermostat and would like to swap out the old one. I know it is a good time to flush the coolant etc but I'd rather not (it's pretty new). Am I going to have coolant everywhere if I attempt to disconnect the hoses and remove the coolant outlet housing or is it doable without much mess?

Drain the coolant out of the radiator drain into a 5 gal bucket, do your replacement, go to your auto paint supply store and buy a paper paint filter funnel, drop it into a regular plastic filter for support and pour the coolant back into the Rad through it....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You only need to drain about a gallon to get below the intake level.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No need to flush.
Just drain down below the level of the thermostat, swap, refill with either the drained coolant (my choice) or new coolant/water mix.