• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 Bronco Build

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
I picked this 69 bronco up in the early spring for my girlfriend. It was only a couple of miles away from from my house. The lady I bought it from told me she had bought it off ebay from Utah around ten years ago. She thought it would be in better shape than it was, and was very disapointed in it. She had the idea of putting power steering in it and thought it had a problem with the transfercase as she told me. She lost interest in it and bought two more that need to be finished but this one needed the most so she decided to sell it. She had listed it as PARTS only on Craigs and I had saw it and jumped on it showed up looked over it quick and said I will take it. Over fifthteen people called her while we were talking broncos. Needles to say she said there was no title and it was for parts. I towed it home a week later with the help of a friend and did nothing to it for about a month. I found the steering box in the back of the bronco but no hardware. So I went to the hardware store picked up some nuts and bolts. I had to order the harware to hold the column and the boot. Well it had steering and the brakes worked, before we had used a tow dolly couse of the steering issue. I brought it to her new Apt. and I let it sit for a couple of months cause of all my own issues, I was dealing with my two broncos. Well I had nothing to do one day so I took out the old smashed tank, which had gas from over ten years in it. Put my old stock tank in, blew out the fuel lines and threw in a new fuel filter. I cleaned the points and threw in my old not too used spark plugs. WHOOOMBAAAAA it started wow loud. Bad exhaust leak. Found the drivers side exhausts was not hooked up to the maifold. Tightened that up check the oil( ten to who knows how old oil) and fired her up again. It started and I only wanted to run it a few minutes cause it was wram out but just a little to wram up that old oil. Drained the oil and it was black and I never saw oil that black and watery in my life. Put in the new oil and started it up again it ran for like 5 mins and it started to smoke bad. I shut it off and could hear a sizzling noise in the exhaust oh well strted it up and revvvved it up and it stared shooting acorns out, ok. Well ran it for a few mins and drove it over to my work barn and power washed the topside and underneath. Steering needs work and there is some clutch chatter, but its been sitting. I didn't do any more work till about a month ago, I removed the half rotten homemade half cab and all the rotten gross carpet and put my ok shape hardtop and brought it back to the GFs house. Well I decided to get it started today and it fired right up but ran out of gas after a few mins. I am going to put in a DUI soon and get the carb rebuilt and go from there. Will keep ya updated.;D

Attachments

• jess's bronco 001.jpg
    jess's bronco 001.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 277
  • jess's bronco 002.jpg
    jess's bronco 002.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 223
  • jess's bronco 003.jpg
    jess's bronco 003.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 221
  • jess's bronco 004.jpg
    jess's bronco 004.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 240

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
NICE starter! will be watching this one

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well its been sometime since I even touch her bronco but I had bought a used carb from 74fiberglass and it came in today. Doubt I will be attempting to work on is since its plowed in, in about 6 feet of snow:-X

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Without getting too carried away it looks like it has potential.

4lofun

Yeah...title. registration. Gas and go...oh put that Carb on!!!!
Any updates? Pictured? :p

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Yeah...title. registration. Gas and go...oh put that Carb on!!!!
Any updates? Pictured? :p

I havnt had a chance between work, the project yj:mad:(wallet sucking:p nightmare:mad:), my 72 which I am trying to get ready for the BYOB;D and after that one hers will be on the list maybe%) as well to attend.....I put my old 33s on its ok in the rear but wayyyyy to tight in the front, can't even turn the wheel, it will be ok once I swap my 3.5 with the new 5.5 and I will install it on hers

Attachments

• Photo0422.jpg
    Photo0422.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 86

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
it is looking good jagr....keep tha faith my brother!

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Move foward.... whew its been some time. Well today I thought I have this carb I picked up from a fellow CB that was a good runner so I thought I would swap it out with the old crappy one. Well I decided to keep it maunal choke cause it will be just easier for now so I swapped it from the old carb. Well just as I was going to run and get some gas I how...%) not sure why it just hit me but the engine looks wide wider then a 302. So I measured the width of the intake and its about 11ins wide, so im like maybe its a 351 and not a 302 well I went over and looked at my 69 351 thats in my 72 and that measures at only 10 and I have a 302 intake and that measures 9.?:? Im really confused.... I can look at my 79 which has a 351m and see what that measures. Any clues guys? how can I find out what type of engine this is.
Photo0310.jpg

Photo0311.jpg