• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Wheels Bronco build

OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
Found some golf cart wheels and tires on FBM for a good price. Need a good cleaning, but at least they're all the same size. I know they look a little big, but once the suspension is under the Bronco (#2), the wheelbase is stretched a little, and the body is stretched to fit (probably in the door area), the proportions will be better. I hope.

IMG_3422.jpg

OK, back to Bronco #1. All the stock black plastic wheels on the Broncos are the same, but to make it a "drive wheel" they screw a plastic adapter to the inside of the wheel, which fits into the output drive gear of the motor/gearbox.

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

To make other wheels "drive wheels", you need another adapter (and motor/gearbox. obviously). ML Toys has these 3D-printed drive wheel adapters, they screw right in. Since they and the wheels have a hole for the axle, motor/gearboxes can be slid over the front spindles to drive the FRONT wheels as well, making it real four wheel drive. The front spindles aren't quite long enough to accomodate the gearbox, adapter, and wheel, so to retain the front wheel to the spindle an extension will needed to screw onto the thread on the spindle, and provide threads to use the Nylock nut that retains the wheel.

IMG_3428.jpg

The plastichrome wheelcovers/hubcaps on the stock wheels are shiny, but lack depth.

IMG_3433.jpg

So, I added some detail to them with flat black model paint and a Sharpie. I doubt anyone will notice, but I had fun for about an hour.

IMG_3434.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
Scored a 4WD, lifted, Bluetooth-enabled parts donor on FBM for $100. New, these things are $500 - $600. Seller said it had a bad battery, but when I got it home and checked things out, it turned out the battery was fine - the problem was the original charger was bad.

IMG_3453.jpg

Yeah, it's a Jeep, but I just bought it for the parts - suspension, wheels/tires, motor/gearboxes, wiring harness, etc. Not the first time a Jeep donated parts for a Bronco project.

Rear swing arm suspension with coilovers, 16" x 6" rubber tires, four 12 volt motors, lots of led lights, Bluetooth remote control - now I just need to swap all of that into the Bronco.

IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
Been doing some work on it, mostly fabricating an entire solid axle front suspension - the Jeep front suspension was just absolute crap, only things I ended up using from it were the drive motor portal gearboxes.

Started with the axletube itself - actually an 18" long section of old garage jack handle. Thick and heavy. Welded on outer knuckles from a shifter kart, coil-over shock mounting tabs, a bracket for the track bar, and pass-through tubes for the radius arm bolts.

IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG

The hardest part of fabricating the front axle housing was getting the knuckles welded on correctly to allow about 1/2 a degree of negative camber for the front wheels, and about 2 degrees of caster so they track straight without constant correction.

IMG_0178.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
If you're wondering why the spindles are so long, it's because the portal motor gearboxes need to slip over them, and they need to be long enough to pass all the way through the wheel and be able to thread a locknut on the end to retain everything. The portal gearboxes needed a little opening up with a 5/8" bit to slip over the spindles.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG

All 4 wheels have these drive dogs bolted to them that fit into the drive sleeves in the portal gearboxes. These are the wheel/tire assemblies from the power wheels Jeep, they are plastic, but the tires are actually a soft rubber bonded to them - lots more traction, and a lot smoother and quieter on pavement and rocks.

IMG_0175.JPG

Just enough room to get a Nylock jam nut on the end of the threads of the spindle.

IMG_0186.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
More fabrication: Here are the track bar, tie rod, and drag link - all internally threaded aluminum tubing, with 1/4" rod ends.

IMG_0187.JPG

Everything in place and mocked up. The upper track bar mount uses the original axle mounting location in the bottom of the plastic body. Coilover shocks have lengthened shafts to accommodate the suspension travel. The tie rod attaches to the top of the steering arms of the knuckles, for increased ground clearance - ("tie rod over"). The radius arms are 3/8" threaded aluminum tubes, with fabricated frame mounts that are welded to the original steel "frame" rails that run under the Bronco plastic body. The drag link is attached to the power steering gearbox from the power wheels Jeep, that will enable remote control steering.

IMG_0188.JPG

If the front axle and suspension look familiar, they should - I basically copied the layout of my full size '71 Bronco (full-width high pinion D44, custom steering, 8 lug GM disk brakes).

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
The rear suspension I pretty much swapped right over from the power wheels Jeep, it's not impressive, but it's adequate...for now. Basically just swing arms pivoting from frame mounts, with adjustable coilovers. The frame mounts are actually old wheelbarrow axle brackets I had lying around the shop, they worked great.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

I still need to weld in the tailgate hinge support, the receiver hitch, and swap over the entire wiring harness from the power wheels Jeep. When finished, the Bronco will have true four wheel drive with four 12 volt motors, several speed levels, portal gearboxes, full coilover suspension, twin 12 volt lithium ion batteries, opening hood and tailgate, and full remote control over forward, backwards, and proportional steering.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What a fun gizmo! You've got some dadgum good vision and dandy fab skills! Looking forward to seeing it in action!