• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

swapping d50 knuckles to d44 ?

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Has anybody swapped the d50 knuckles to a 76/77 D44 to get 8 lug conversion. I know about the chevy 8 lug with the 6 bolt spindle. Wanted info on the 5 lug spindle conversion.Rob 508 962 0972

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't think it will work. There was a knuckle change around '80. that is why you can't use TTB D44 knuckles on the straight axle D44. All the D50 I know of are the newer versions of either the TTB varity or the unit bearing strait axle version.

Take a good look around http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html and read up on it. I know there are some 8-lug D44s around.

chadomatic

Loc.
St Paul
Ford made dana 44 3/4 ton trucks in the 70s. Not sure about spindles though or if they would work but its worth a look. they would be 8 bolt.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford made dana 44 3/4 ton trucks in the 70s. Not sure about spindles though or if they would work but its worth a look. they would be 8 bolt.

The knuckles interchange just fine between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton D44 axles in the mid late 70s. But not just the spindles and caliper mounts alone.

Axle in my sign line rig below is a narrowed '79 D44 from a Bronco with '78 F-250 knuckles/brakes'8-lug hubs etc.

OP
OP
B

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
If 50's will work they are easier to find here than a 40 year old d44 8 lug stuff because of the junk prices being so high

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The knuckles interchange just fine between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton D44 axles in the mid late 70s. But not just the spindles and caliper mounts alone.

Axle in my sign line rig below is a narrowed '79 D44 from a Bronco with '78 F-250 knuckles/brakes'8-lug hubs etc.

There is a slight difference in the knuckles as the calipers need different clearance requirements (1-piston vs. 2-piston)

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
There is a slight difference in the knuckles as the calipers need different clearance requirements (1-piston vs. 2-piston)

Just swap every thing from the knuckles out. I've sold several sets like this to people converting from 5 to 8 lugs. Of course this is only for the mid to late 70's. Once ford went to the TTB as mentioned things changed and you can't even take an 8 lug TTB and swap it with a 5 lug TTB axle, won't work. Everything became specific to its own applcation. I even found a truck that had the light duty F250 package and it had an 8 lug 8.8 axle in the back and even those front knuckles were different than the 44 TTB parts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are solid axle 50's also, and plenty plentiful too I would think. But there is still likely a ball-joint difference that might be enough to put the kaybash on the whole swap.
That's just a guess though, as I've never tried it. They don't look compatible, but looks can be deceiving, as I was looking at some Dedenbear knuckles today and I would have sworn the ball-joint holes were too big. Standard 44 though.

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are solid axle 50's also, and plenty plentiful too I would think. But there is still likely a ball-joint difference that might be enough to put the kaybash on the whole swap.
That's just a guess though, as I've never tried it. They don't look compatible, but looks can be deceiving, as I was looking at some Dedenbear knuckles today and I would have sworn the ball-joint holes were too big. Standard 44 though.

Paul

The solid D50 was only around from 98-02 and found under Excursions, F-250s and some F-350s. As I understand it, the knuckles and whatnot are same as the D60s of the same period...meaning, again. no usefull parts from a D50 solid that can be used on older 44s.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN

You can use the 5 lug knuckles. Just use the brake plates/mounts and spindles. The 5 lug has the clearance for the calipers that the 8 lugs dont have to have. but you couldnt use the 8 lug knuckles with the 5 lug stuff.