• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapping oil pressure sensor

FoMoCoBronCo

Currently, my oil pressure sensor needs an extension to attach to the block because it is so wide. I’m trying to reduce clutter in that area and increase ease of access and maintenance.

I found this oil pressure sensor that is much skinnier and longer that will fit in there. Could I use this? Or would it not be compatible with my 1971 302?

95d88d1604e636d576cd999b1608a968.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
Don't know if that will work or not, but I believe the extension is factory on all EBs with the V8

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The oil pressure sender doesn't care what engine it is on. It just has a calibrated resistance. The calibration matches the gauge. 50PSI is 50PSI, weather it be oil pressure or air pressure. It just makes the correct resistance to match the design of the gauge.

I think someone found a small body sender that matches the Bronco gauges, but I don't know what it is.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m 99% certain that a sender for a 90s era Ford vehicle will not have the same resistance rating as the Broncos did.
I believe they changed it in the early to mid 80s in fact.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just buy an extension.
We sell them, and you can probably still get them from the local parts store.
Try to get a metal one though, versus the aluminum ones which tend to be sensitive to overtorquing.
Most factory ones were aluminum, and over the years either vibration, fatigue took its toll, or they just weren’t strong enough to begin with.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Technically aluminum is a metal, though it acts like plastic.

By "metal" you mean steel or brass?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correctomundo as usual. 😁
I know it, but I still get it backwards now and then.
Like every other time!🙄

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The one that works without the extension is a standard ps-17. Look for the standard brand. I think someone on here went to the local ap store and got some other ps-17 sender and it was for the idiot light which will peg the gauge. They're getting harder to find but if you google it a couple usually come up. Also you don't need the special ford socket to install it. It's metric like a 21mm.

Last edited: