• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Beefy axles.

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Friend just broke the drivers side axle,cro molly,28 spline.He has a true trac and is wondering what to get to replace the broken one.He has a 44 in the frt.What are the best 28 spline axles?If he upgrades to 31 spline,can he run a aussie and sell the truetrac?Trying to be cost effective and get some stronger axles.Ideas?Do mini spools last with 33's?

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I am assuming you are talking about the 9. Yes he can run an aussie in the rear and run 31 spline chromos. Did the one he break have a warrenty on it still? He may be able to just replace that one and change nothing else.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Front should all be 30 spline. What brand of Chromos is he running? He may be able to just swap it out on warrenty and keep rollin.

The answer I keep telling myself is a 60 or Rockwell fixes all.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
If memory serves, all front 44 is 30 spline. Stock and aftermarket. The 9 in the EB is stock 28, upgradable to 31, 33, and 35 spline.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
What exactly broke? I'm betting you took out the u-joint and then sheared off the ears on the axle. I kept breaking u-joints in my TTB D50/44 on my pickup until I installed some cheapie Jeff's Bronco Graveyard chromoly outers and ground my inner shafts for full circle snap rings. Moly axles come machined for full circle snap rings and you can run the larger 1 3/16's cap in them. Replace the outer, grind the inner for the full circle snap ring and run it - I bet it will be fine. I have yet to break mine with hard wheeling in my pickup. I run a PowerLok l/s, 4.56's, 34" Super Swamp LTB's (at low psi) powered by a nasty injected 302.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I've broke 2 4340 outers recently. First one s lasted 3+ years second one 6 months and destroyed a two day old warn hub with it. Really don't think it is a defect in the axle, I just push it harder and harder.
If you broke like in KyleQ response then a up grade to shafts with the bigger ujoints will go along way. If not cost prohibitive CTMs or super joints in the and you will almost eliminate that failure altogether; but if you wheel hard enough it will break somewhere else.
I would just replace what you have and if you break it again it is time to build bigger Dana 60 or a 609. I am going to go the 609 route on mine.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Wait. I just re-read the original post. He is running 33s on it(tires)? Let me guess, Yukants are in it now? If he has ponied up money for Chromos already, no sense in upgrading to yet another brand and another 500-800 bones. Then again, there should be some kinda warranty on those things. I gotta say, I bash Youkants, but they are awesome about replacing them. And they are cheap up front. You just replace a lot of them.

Oh yeah, and Tito I am thinking you are right on the outters. I should know after replacing about 20 shafts in the last couple years.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I break at least one Youkant every time I go out wheeling. But the superjoints are great and they have never given me flak on my returns (honestly 19 or 20 give or take 2 either way). Question is Steve, do you drop coin for a different brand for the same thing that comes from the same foundry overseas and milled here in the states? I'm not sure if the new Alloy USA thing is up and running at the new manufacturer yet or not.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Was it the stock front EB axle that broke?
If so just upgrade them to either the f-150 axles or a yukon that uses the 297/760 u-joints.

OP
OP
gjrock

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Molly from Jeffs,broke.We think the u joint took out the axle also.He is waiting to hear from Jeff's on the warranty.He will be getting better u joints.He was running his 32's BFG mt's.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Wait. I just re-read the original post. He is running 33s on it(tires)? Let me guess, Yukants are in it now? If he has ponied up money for Chromos already, no sense in upgrading to yet another brand and another 500-800 bones. Then again, there should be some kinda warranty on those things. I gotta say, I bash Youkants, but they are awesome about replacing them. And they are cheap up front. You just replace a lot of them.

Oh yeah, and Tito I am thinking you are right on the outters. I should know after replacing about 20 shafts in the last couple years.

I think the outers on the TTB are different, but they are only 49 bucks a side... I'm thinking my F150 weighs more, has more aggressive tires, a locker, and more power - I have yet to break anything since that upgrade... I don't wheel easy either - I generally beat the piss outa my truck.

Molly from Jeffs,broke.We think the u joint took out the axle also.He is waiting to hear from Jeff's on the warranty.He will be getting better u joints.He was running his 32's BFG mt's.

The outers from JBG are only 60 a piece, I'd run those will some nice Spicers and full circle snap rings. You are probably shooting the caps out and ripping off the ears of the axle shafts... which most companies don't warranty.

I did this backing down a sandy hill... cap must have been working out and finally went...

PineCityFall07013.jpg

The retainer clips that come with u-joints are good for on road use - they shear off when put under high stress that comes with 4 wheeling...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see you use that powdered ferrous oxide u-joint lube. I've had a lot better results with simply grease, myself....

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Does anybody have a good photo of the mod they did for the full circle snap rings? Seems to me that this would be something best handled by a machine shop so I'd love to see how people are DIY'ing it...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I see you use that powdered ferrous oxide u-joint lube. I've had a lot better results with simply grease, myself....

Old picture - same location. It is an active gravel pit - more like a sand pit. Ujoint exploded - drug myself down the kill in reverse, filling everything with sand. Everything - inside and out looked the same after 2 days of wheeling in it ;D This was before full circle snap rings - I had a locker up front and the non Spicer joints just sucked.. That u-joint didn't last 3 hours - I broke ujoints back to back to back 3 events in a row until I went moly outers and full circle snap rings...
PICT0368.jpg

Does anybody have a good photo of the mod they did for the full circle snap rings? Seems to me that this would be something best handled by a machine shop so I'd love to see how people are DIY'ing it...

I used a Dremmel on my F150 shafts - on the Bronco shafts I put a 4" cutoff wheel on a Rotozip and went to town.
Please excuse the crappy old cell phone pic - but you will get the idea looking at this.
TTB Moly.jpg

The only thing you have to do is grind enough metal for a snap ring to fit on the bottom side of the u-joint cap. It also has to be ground flush so the snap ring fits without binding up - it is very simple to do. Notice how much space there is under the ear on that chromo shaft? All aftermarket chromo shafts come machined for full circle snap rings because the clips that come with u-joints are not intended for off-road use.
Please excuse the sign on the wall - that is my brother's doing :-X

You can easily check to see if you have removed enough metal by holding a snap ring next to the ear - when the rin is flush or clears the button of the u-joint cap hole you are set.

When you go to put them together make sure to remember to put the snap rings on before you start to put it together - stick it behind the u-joint seal.

Feel free to ask any more questions - easiest mod to do to keep your front end together until a certain point..

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
So how are you ensuring that you're taking the same amount of material off both sides? Or is it really not that important on the axle assembly? I would think that if the cuts are uneven from side to side and the u-joint sits off center it could cause some vibration issues...

Also, you're not applying the same treatment to the driveline u-joints are you?