• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" third member - tough nut to crack!

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm having trouble getting a third member to break loose from the housing. I have removed all the nuts. Tried to get a screwdriver started in the seam. I have tried jacking it up from under the pinion - picked the Bronco off the ground without budging. Has anyone got a trick up their sleeves to get this tough nut to crack?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have tried jacking it up from under the pinion - picked the Bronco off the ground without budging. Has anyone got a trick up their sleeves to get this tough nut to crack?

Not trying to be a jerk, off the ground? Did you pull the axles out right? Should be on jack stands at this point cause you removed the tires, brakes, backing plates and axles right?

Tim

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Last time I pulled mine I ran the winch under the Bronco tied it to the pinion pulled that sucker loose. Rightstuff gasket maker should be called stuckstuff.

dao1980

Loc.
Chattanooga
Just a small dab of C4 at the joint between the center section and the housing will knock that sucker right off.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I guess I need to be more clear - yes the axles were removed, all nuts removed, it's on jack stands, nothing but sealer holding it.
Nyles - I hope I don't have to resort to that.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
I think I'd try a come-along attached to the pinion yoke and a solid part of the frame like the trans Xmember brackets, add some tension and go at it with a sharp cold chisel and a hammer. I think the C4 would work, too, but the come-along would keep you off the no-fly list.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i second the putty knife i keep one in my tool box just for this kind of thing. that and a dead blow hammer.

definitely have to remove those washers too.

penetrating oil can help.

the real fun part is wiggling it up over all those studs then suddenly having this enormously heavy thing trying to crush you!!!!!!!!! i know mine surprised the hell out of me when it came free.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
No copper washers in the way.
I have removed these in the past but never had this much trouble. Matter of fact I'm the big dummy who sealed this one on a couple of years ago.
I have tried a putty knife. I got a fine blade screw driver wedged in once but couldn't make any progress after the first 1/16".
Guess I'll keep trying what I have been doing and hope for some progress.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you do the winch/comealong, put one of the nuts back on to keep it from dropping to the floor.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I find that whacking the pumpkin with a deadblow mallet just inside of the pinion snout will usually break them free.

If all else fails, a putty knife and some patience works too, but patience sucks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
drive all the studs into the case. Then try all the other tricks.