• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pan drain plug gasket

chuck1022

Contributor
I keep getting drip of oil from the drain plug. I have tried various different gaskets and rings and copper and copper and rubber and homemade and......you see what I am getting at. Just put fresh oil in and its weeping from the plug. If you have encountered this.......and found the fix, please let me know before I lose my mind.

thanks

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Chuck 1022, more info is needed here...

302 Bronco pan, Mustang pan, 6 cylinder, Coyote, 351...explorer motor with aluminum or steel pan, aftermarket pan?

Explorer motor drain plugs have a built in O-ring as an example...

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Chuck 1022, more info is needed here...

302 Bronco pan, Mustang pan, 6 cylinder, Coyote, 351...explorer motor with aluminum or steel pan, aftermarket pan?

Explorer motor drain plugs have a built in O-ring as an example...

that would be helpful wouldnt......;D

its a 302, original as far I know..nothing exotic.

this will be my last resort!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hzqz7mcG4U

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
what about that white teflon tape? will the heat ruin that?

elan

Loc.
s
I've done the Teflon tape on many old cars over the years and never had anything go South on me. If someone can point to the errors of my ways then I would like to hear it.
Copper crush washers are my go to or the hard fiber.

Or, you just may need a new drain plug as they do wear.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
X2 on the new drain plug, pretty cheap place to start. If it continues maybe inspect the area around the threads on the pan for a small crack.
Hope its a simple fix!

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you do the leather washer, let us know if that works.

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
I will get a drain plug to rule that out. If all else fails...leather gasket

Last edited:

brbuilder

Have you tried a bonded sealing washer such as a Dowty or stat-o-seal washer?

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I have been using a plastic seal thats about an 1/8 inch thick. Haven't had any leaks out of the plug...

Lawndart

Loc.
I just use a couple of gasket punches; one large, the other the diameter of the threads. I punch a new gasket from old plastic oil bottles etc. Works fine for me.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Next time you have it all the way out too, you should check the condition of the sealing surface. Maybe you did that already, but if not it's worth a shot.
Might be able to dress it down a bit with a file (awkward, but possible?) or something before putting the next one on there.

I had all sorts of luck with each one of the suggestions, until the next time, when they all would leak again.
The last one I used was mentioned I think, where the outer ring is a washer but the inner surface is a rubber seal. That worked on my original pan for many years.

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
The black fiber type gasket seemed to of worked. bought a bunch of different oil drain plugs, so i will be able to solve this problem for the next 200 years without going to the hardware store.

I also used a thicker oversized washer....

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
since we solved that problem. Lets solve this one.

302 engine with 2150 1.08 venturi 2 barrel. first start of the day is always money, runs great, 14mpg, I would tell anyone that asked, the 2150 is great. It was tuned 3 or 4 years ago and has run great since.

It ran great until the last 4 months.

After driving it on the freeway (62mph, freeway and mph probably irrelevant), If i get to my destination and turn it off, it will restart immediately if necessary. If I try to start it after it sits a half hour, it just turns over and over and over...like it is flooded. if I wait an hour, it will spark right up with a twitch of the key.

Here is what I did to trouble shoot.
- when engine is just turning over, it definitely has spark
- it is not vapor locking , cause I can see fuel squirt when I manually operate carb.

Here is where it gets weird.

- I sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner down the carb , my thought was to evaporate the fuel and dry the plugs.....oddly it worked. It fumbled and stumbled and fired back to life.

could my carb just be dumping/leaking fuel into manifold and flooding engine in that specific time frame? but if I start it 8 hours later, the fuel flooded and evaporated and it starts normal?

any thoughts on this