• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Fuel Injection Kit, Holley, Fitech?

broncoP

Contributor
Since I put new engine in, the carbs are driving me nuts, swapped a couple different ones in.
Debating ordering a 500 cfm Edelbrock or going furl injection.
Any recommendations in F/I kits, looking at the Holley Sniper or Fitech or any others.. Fitch is about $200 cheaper. Any noticeable difference in hp?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, none of them are "Fuel Injected" they are electronically controlled carburetors. Fi-Tech seems to have more electrical issues that the Holley Sniper....
Is the new engine highly modified? more that a 600 cfm is drowning it..

Holley is now making a new FI kit that comes with a new intake and fuel rails...

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look at Affordable FI, it's all GM throttle body, even the coil they use, if u need a part just go to parts store an ask for 91 Chevy Truck 350 or 305, I just go to junk yard an pull the throttle bodies from early 90's gm's, u will need the adaptor for whichever manifold u have. You will need the harness, PCM, and I always get the dizzy they have. These systems are great I have only had one prob with their product and it was the tps, they replaced no problem

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
For some reason, the manufacturers of these new throttle body injection systems think putting the electronics on top of the manifold is a good idea. Maybe it's the aesthetics of not having a visible controller, but it's looking more and more like it's a bad idea. That spot is hot enough to boil the fuel in the carb. Why would you put a controller there? Just Google it. There are problems with it.

Both Holley and Edelbrock make ported injection units with remote mounted controllers. That looks like a better way to go.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had several carburetors and also tried the Holley Sniper. After trying to solve what Holley called "RF" interference with the electronics, I gave up and went back to my trusty Quadrajet. Some call it poor mans fuel injection.

Bruce at Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix has built two for me over the years and they work very well. No flooding off roading, jetted and tuned right out of the box after a bunch of questions from Bruce on motor and driving etc.

You may want to try him (623) 388-0990

Good luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Holley gets you timing control, which is a $200 upgrade for Fitech. You will make more power with better timing control than with different fuel injection. Both run a wide band O2, so the air/fuel will both be the same (so long as set up the same way).

FiTech runs the MAP off a single bore. Gets confused when used on a divided plenum intake (typical dual plane intake). Which is why they say run on an open plenum.
Holley uses a branched MAP so it reads both sides of the intake. Doesn't have the open plenum requirement of FiTech.

Holley can get a progressive throttle linkage kit and the software will support it. Something that can matter if you want drivability and not just full throttle performance. Have not seen that for Fitech.

Talking with both reps at SEMA a few years back, Holley impressed me more. I ran a Sniper on a stock(ish) 460 in an F250 for a couple of years. Actual driving, not much of a difference. Cold start, cold drivability, hot restart, all WAY better with EFI. I am sure air/fuel was better controlled, but didn't change the fuel economy (still 10 no matter what you did). Could sit for a month with the controller plugged in and not run the battery down (I hear Fitech has issues with that).

The only down side I had was it wanted a 2½ second pause between key on and engine crank. Give it time to reset the IAC. If you waited, no issues. If not, you had a longer crank time, sometimes. I just learned to key on, put on seatbelt, start and drive away.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Having had a lot of trouble with Fitech I’d consider a well tuned Qjet as recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I have a Fitech and I am very pleased with it.... That being said, none of these systems will "fix" a carb problem. As a matter of fact, they will amplify any existing problem and probably highlight another you didn't know you even had! So just go into the project with the proper mindset and follow the directions to the letter ("close enough" will give you problems).

73BRO

a have fitech on my fresh rebuilt 351w in my 73 Bronco
mine runs great,no problems.just had it out trailriding last weekend.
have a sniper my 83 Hurst Olds. a little more of a pain to work with as far as the ignition set up.

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
I have had a fitech on my 351 for the past 2 years and it controls timing. No issues yet other than the adjustable rotor cap slipping once (my fault, didn't loctite it).

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Don't get fitech. Ive had nothing but problems. Thinking of going back to good ol carb setup.:-[:cry:?:?:mad:

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I love my Sniper. I've taken it on many many adventures and it always gets me home...
Do a good job installing it, have it control timing and pay to have it tuned and you'll be very happy with it's performance.. The sensors are all available at any parts store once you figure out what part numbers are compatible with the Holley ones.

Hinmaton

I’ve run a FiTech on my 5.0L for 3 years with very little problems other than some hot start and tired old engine stuff. It’s running timing.
I wish it had progressive linkage. It doesn’t and can’t be upgraded. The Holley can be upgraded with it, but doesn’t come stock that way.

If I had to do it all again, I would go Edlebrock ProFlo 4. It comes with progressive linkage, fuel rails and the ECU is remote.
But any way you slice it, it’s expensive @$2000-$2500. They need to be installed correctly and the learning curve is steep. Also no bolt on efi system is going to solve poor running engine problems. All that said, when they are running right, it’s fantastic.

My 2 cents

Hinmaton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had several carburetors and also tried the Holley Sniper. After trying to solve what Holley called "RF" interference with the electronics, I gave up and went back to my trusty Quadrajet. Some call it poor mans fuel injection.

Bruce at Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix has built two for me over the years and they work very well. No flooding off roading, jetted and tuned right out of the box after a bunch of questions from Bruce on motor and driving etc.

You may want to try him (623) 388-0990

Good luck!
I havew one of his on my rig, supposedly he said the last known manually adjustable altitude carb on the planet. So I have that going for me.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
We just installed the Holley on a 302 with a mild cam that’s in a 65 Falcon and it runs great.
Way better than a carb .

Carb was hard to crank if it sat for a few days.
Hard to crank if it was cold .
Hard to crank if it was hot
Etc

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
I think I'm gonna just order a new carb right now. Next dilema, 500 cfm or 600. Engine I have is built a bit, good power. Leaning towards Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
We just installed the Holley on a 302 with a mild cam that’s in a 65 Falcon and it runs great.
Way better than a carb .

Carb was hard to crank if it sat for a few days.
Hard to crank if it was cold .
Hard to crank if it was hot
Etc

That is why I did Sniper about 3 years ago.

Actual cruise/drive there isn't really a difference. More of one after getting the timing changed up, but not the fuel delivery.

Didn't need my priming bottle anymore. Didn't have a flooded engine after stopping while hot. I could actually drive it when the engine was cold. That was where the Sniper was doing its good.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I'm gonna just order a new carb right now. Next dilema, 500 cfm or 600. Engine I have is built a bit, good power. Leaning towards Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm.

This is what I had before going Qjet. It ran great on the road, but once off road would flood if it wasn't level. Installed the off road kit and still had the flooding issues. Qjet doesn't have this problem.

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
It's pretty much a pavement princess now, just street use