• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extended ebrake cables

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. So what is the prevailing opinion on ebrake cable length with 3.5in lifts? Stock or extended? I think there is only one length of extended cables, true?

Thx

Hank

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Stock driver side cable is almost too short with no suspension lift. Mine would actually keep the driver side from full droop when I had it on the lift.

nrramse

After my 3" lift the stock cables kept rubbing against the exhaust pipes so I went with extended ones.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I only had to get an extended cable on the driver side with a 3.5 inch SL and a 1 bl

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Duffs sells extended cables that you can cut and adjust to what ever length you want.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Hank. Basically along the lines of what they all said, but will add the detail that it's usually not necessary to change them for strictly street running in most cases.
I ran mine with 3.5" of lift for quite a long time back when it was my daily-driver. But on trails, as they said, the cables were most definitely limiting wheel travel. Luckily I never damaged any of the brackets or anything like that, but I wasn't getting my full droop either.

Now, if you're prone to finding places around town to get some air:eek:, then longer ones might be called for even for the street!
Or if your old ones are worn out or tired and need to be changed anyway, there's no reason to not go longer at the same time.

Paul

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks all. the thing is i have NO cables right now, but need to buy something so i can assemble the brakes and attached to the axles and get the suspension hung, hopefully in two weeks time. I would prefer to buy once, well at least sometimes in this project :cool:

this rig wont be bombing in the woods, so im not worried there, but i think i will get the extended, figure out clean routing and be done with it.

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought the simple trick was to use two passenger side cables. One for the passenger side and the other to fix the too short driver's side.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
My stock cables were too short for my 2.5" lift. I am running the WH extended cables. They are a tad long for a 2.5" lift but should be good for the taller lifts.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Hank, I used the WH cables on mine-currently just a 2" BL but they are much nicer than the stock ones. Smooth enough that I can set the brake by hand without throwing my back out. Decent length to allow for clean routing too.

ren71

I thought the simple trick was to use two passenger side cables. One for the passenger side and the other to fix the too short driver's side.

This is what I did. But one side has more inner cable so it ain't pulling evenly. I think I'll have to cut and re-crimp the end somehow.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all. I bought extended so I can move on. If its a problem down the road, it won't break the bank

Too many details :-0

Hank