• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Intake port question?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Here I go again hijacking @gnsteam's thread- maybe should start a new one- but would be nice to ID valve covers with a PCV port and oil filler location that are mass flow EFI compatible and fit under a Ford EFI style intake. Preferably without having to buy 50 different valve cover sets from Summit to figure it out, lol. This is going to become real interesting for me soon, when I start reassembling my engine, might also be useful information for others building oil-sucking EFI stroker motors.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Here I go again hijacking @gnsteam's thread- maybe should start a new one- but would be nice to ID valve covers with a PCV port and oil filler location that are mass flow EFI compatible and fit under a Ford EFI style intake. Preferably without having to buy 50 different valve cover sets from Summit to figure it out, lol. This is going to become real interesting for me soon, when I start reassembling my engine, might also be useful information for others building oil-sucking EFI stroker motors.
No worries on the Hijacking! When good information being shared.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you really need something fancy from the aftermarket Lars? Why not just some factory stamped steel ones from a 5.8/351?
Maybe out of a van, or pickup. I’m not sure what Brad K. put on his, but I believe that’s what he built his with. Just a nice clean gray steel model with Ford stamped in it. I thought they looked pretty clean.
And a factory one is more likely to have the right type of baffle than an aftermarket one too I think. At least in my experience, that’s been the case.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Nice video, Garry, and I gave it a thumbs up :) That's exactly how my 5.0 was plumbed (used OEM Mustang 5.0 valve covers and Explorer upper/lower) and how my current 408 is plumbed, using EFI-compatible Ford Performance valve covers, sealed with port on the oil fill tube etc.

I don't have one of those screens below the PCV, and your comment about different weight check valves in the PCV was interesting. Maybe that's part of my problem, I'm still using an Explorer 5.0 PCV valve. But I find it interesting that many have reported increased oil consumption with 5.8 motors with the PCV back there, compared to 5.0 motors. Could be that it's the forged pistons and possible greater piston to wall clearance (more blowby). I'm grasping at straws with this, haven't seen any definitive solutions.

Do you really need something fancy from the aftermarket Lars? Why not just some factory stamped steel ones from a 5.8/351?
Maybe out of a van, or pickup. I’m not sure what Brad K. put on his, but I believe that’s what he built his with. Just a nice clean gray steel model with Ford stamped in it. I thought they looked pretty clean.
And a factory one is more likely to have the right type of baffle than an aftermarket one too I think. At least in my experience, that’s been the case.
It's an option, for sure. Not quite ready to try anything different just yet, but that's a way to test the idea without a big investment.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
If you are interested... Last revised PCV hose I bought available from Ford for the Explorer. Part # in picture. Comes complete with valve and grommet.

XL2Z-6C324-AA Updated PCV hose for Explorers

In other news, I have found that the Ford PCV grommet for the PCV valve works the best. The Dorman replacement grommet, even with the valve in position, still moves in the hole in the lower plenum. (and I have had them pop out)

#D1TZ-17618-B Mustang/Explorer PCV valve grommet

Attachments

• PCV Hoses.JPG
    PCV Hoses.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 12

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
If you are interested... Last revised PCV hose I bought available from Ford for the Explorer. Part # in picture. Comes complete with valve and grommet.

In other news, I have found that the Ford PCV grommet for the PCV valve works the best. The Dorman replacement grommet, even with the valve in position, still moves in the hole in the lower plenum. (and I have had them pop out)

ooohh aahh, thanks, Doug. The grommet in my lower intake is sloppy. Will attempt to track down the official Ford part. As for the hose, I'm using fuel/oil compatible generic hose on my Trick Flow intake. Which has the port at the back, as described in Garry's video.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE

Just received the Dorman grommet and yes it is loose in the intake. I am going to try adding a small girth, O-ring around the outside of the grommet to snug it up.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Does anyone still know or have the parts numbers for the intake hoses for the various factory intakes?
Back in the day Brian Wickert (know that's a name you haven't heard in awhile) had a pretty good list of hoses for vacuum and heater stuff from his swap (one of the first documented on the interwebs)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Does anyone still know or have the parts numbers for the intake hoses for the various factory intakes?
Back in the day Brian Wickert (know that's a name you haven't heard in awhile) had a pretty good list of hoses for vacuum and heater stuff from his swap (one of the first documented on the interwebs)
Not me. But that is a blast from the past. He was the inspiration for a lot of the things I did on my Bronco, way back when. Like, oh, almost 25 years ago.