• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Indeed it does!
Anyone read/seen a specification on turning circle for these things? I wonder how they compare?

Paul
I have not. I will be checking it out for a while, but with the trail turn assist on my badlands I can say the turning radius should be pretty hard to beat, at least off road. I did find this video of a 4 door, 42 feet is what they measured. my 2 door should be better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. I’ll have to check that out.
Seems to me I remember the early Broncos and CJ5 Jeep’s coming in at around 36 to 37 feet. With the bronco, edging out the jeep by something minimal like a half an inch to an inch.
But that’s just a memory from 45 year old magazine tests so could be flawed :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I misread that post lol. anyway I just heard on Friday, I have a build date for my 2022 2 door badlands. it should go into production the week of october 17th. of course having read all the horror stories since the introduction, I won't be holding my breath. but at least it looks like I will be getting it this year!!

lol, that's a plus Fingers crossed

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have not. I will be checking it out for a while, but with the trail turn assist on my badlands I can say the turning radius should be pretty hard to beat, at least off road. I did find this video of a 4 door, 42 feet is what they measured. my 2 door should be better.

we'll wait for your video :)

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I got a few pics before the snow hit the other day. I have been having a lot of fun with it. it may not be as iconically cool as my 71, but right now at least it gets almost as much attention, and it is very comfortable to drive. with the heated seats and steering wheel it is pretty posh lol. the 12 inch screen is amazing. I do love all the little techie gadgets. and it gets around in the snow very well. lots of fun. a nice addition to the 71. I can't wait till it warms up abit so I can get it out again. I should put the soft top on and drive it anyway, but I just don't like putting the soft top on it. I prefer the bikini top. eh another month and Ill be getting it out.

I put rock slide engineering steps on it, they also keep a lot of dirt and rocks off the sides as a nice added benefit. it stays much cleaner than my f 150

E0qGdbW.jpg

1oApxlK.jpg

pwoSC0N.jpg

this is after I put the hood deflector on.

UUhiRkg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
wow, its been a year to the day since I posted on this build. I haven't been doing much except driving. I have taken it to a bunch of shows, and I have driven it around town, to work etc. the longest drive I have taken was to the cruise to the woods a couple years ago, but that was over 300 miles all told. the bronco has been working flawlessly, so I decided to see if I could mess it up lol. I have said before in this thread that I have received a lot of inspiration from AZ73's build barn find restomod. one of the things he is doing is a keyless entry and ignition setup. I thought it was cool, and I bought the system when I was building my bronco, but with getting the sniper setup and how much I hate wiring I decided not to do it.

sitting around with no projects to work on and a whole weekend off I decided I would tackle it. I didn't take many pictures during the installation because most of it is just wiring. It really wasn't that hard to make it work the most difficult part was finding a place to mount the control box. there is just no space behind that dash. I ended up mounting it right above my heater plenum, I hope the heat from the heater doesn't cause any problems.

this is the system I used.

bGc7LHd.jpg

there were several things that kept me from doing this so long. one of them was since I used an aaw wiring harness the question of what to do with the stock ignition switch. the second was when starting the sniper after the vehicle has sat for a few weeks, I like to cycle the fuel pump a couple times so I wasn't sure how to accomplish that. in reading the instructions several times I decided the best solution was to keep the stock ignition switch but conceal it. that way I had a backup in case the digital guard dog didn't work, and I could easily prime the fuel pump when I wanted to, (I could do it with the keyless system but its just easier with the switch I think.

the second question I had was mounting the new push button start. I had a couple options there, I could use the button that just stuck on over the hole with emblem tape,

0r6BBCX.jpg

but I didn't like the look or feel of that one. the other option is an optional switch with LED that can be purchased in multiple different colors and styles. but I wasn't sure if it would fill the hole properly. I am using 65 mustang switches so I bought a second one, and using a dremel I ground the inside down until the switch fit tight. then I glued it in with some model glue. it fits nice and looks like it belongs there.

alJwyj7.jpg

Z9kJF7L.jpg

it works with an ifob just like a new vehicle

eah9Ym7.jpg

and it can be used with remote door locks and keyless entry, but since I don't use a top it didn't make much sense to me to bother with that. I can always add it later if I choose. I have the actuators and wiring harness its just a matter of wiring it up.

I still have some wiring to clean up under the dash. but it is in and it works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I have been craving a new project for a while now. nothing to do on the Bronco, I have the 65 mustang where I want it, the new Bronco is pretty well set where I like it, so I have been just watching you tube videos. I saw John Melton do an install of a front sway bar on his bronco on Nashville bronco and he said I needed a front sway bar. so being the easily swayed individual I am I ordered one from wild horses. Then i started watching other videos because I wanted to see how I would manage the installation without the stock holes in the frame. while doing that I found Monster Mike talking about Duffs new dual sport sway bar kit. I thought it looked like a nice modification. for those who haven't seen it, it uses a modified version of their heavy duty spring cups so You don't have have to lift the front end that 3/8 of an inch for the stock helwig bracket. and it is a dual shear design which I like. anyway I checked on Duffs website and they had them as a separate piece. so I ordered a set. well then I got word that wild horses was back ordered and they had no news when they would be back in stock. so I called James Duff to ask if I could order there kit without the spring cups. unfortunately the person I talked to didn't know how to do that, and the person I needed to talk to wasn't available. so me being very patient I just ordered the whole kit. it was a very easy install, and now I have a very nice handling bronco, and a set of regular heavy duty spring cups slightly used and a set of new dual sport spring cups that are taking up space lol. patience has never been one of my virtues. anyway I am very happy with the final results. my Bronco isn't likely to see much offroad use so I haven't bought the quick release kit that can go with it. if I ever do decide I need it, it is available from james duff also.
IMG_3108.jpg IMG_3110(1).jpg IMG_3206.jpg IMG_3203.jpg IMG_3207.jpg al

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Nice!

If you decide to sell the extras it won’t be too difficult, know a guy that would probably help with some inventory reduction lol.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can I get an explanation on how the sway bar links will allow enough articulation (off-road) and not cause issue if both aren't supported in a "quick release" scenario?

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Can I get an explanation on how the sway bar links will allow enough articulation (off-road) and not cause issue if both aren't supported in a "quick release" scenario?
With the quick release the end links are disconnected from the axle,before you go off-road, and are just pinned up out of the way. It is not automatic you have to pull the pins and move the end links out of the way. Off-road they are just not connected so they can’t affect the articulation. https://dufftuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/5315.pdf

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I fully understand how lifting the connecting links out of the way disconnect the sway bar from the axle.
I would like to see the explanation on how the lower mounting ears don't get the crap bent out of them if the axle is wrapped up with the sway bar links still connected.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For that explanation, we might have to wait until someone does some serious offloading and leaves them connected.
Could happen when someone thinks they’re just doing mild off-roading, and then gets themselves into a pickle before they have a chance to disconnect.
And disconnecting an end-link while you are in a pickle, can create a whole another set of pickles! :)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Do your shock brackets bend when flexed up? Last I checked no, it no different, it’s a shock bushing on the end of the link. Heep guys have been doing this exact set up for decades.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Nice!

If you decide to sell the extras it won’t be too difficult, know a guy that would probably help with some inventory reduction lol.
well they aren't doing me any good so if you know someone who wants them I'd sell them for 50 bucks plus shipping for the pair. mostly just to get them out of the shop.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other than shipping being a hassle, wouldn’t sending them back to Duff for credit or refund be an option?
I wouldn’t think they’d have too much trouble with that seeing it hasn’t been that long since you bought them.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Other than shipping being a hassle, wouldn’t sending them back to Duff for credit or refund be an option?
I wouldn’t think they’d have too much trouble with that seeing it hasn’t been that long since you bought them.
oh, I imagine they would, its just more trouble than its worth. if I can sell them to someone who might use them and help them out, I would prefer that..