• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Looking great. That frame color is about perfect.
42meCyF.jpg

I'm jealous of the garage space!

for the jeep haters in the group lol I have some bittersweet news. first I sold my Jeep. I loved the little yj it was a fun rig that I built up to be a pretty darned capable offroad rig and I enjoyed it a lot. but..... I wanted one of the new broncos to go with my 71 and the wife put her foot down, she said I didn't have enough space in the garage for another car, so I needed to sell something before I could get one. I am pretty sure she only said that because she was sure I wouldn't sell anything lol. well I was joking at work and said I would probably have to sell the jeep. one of my co workers said what are you going to ask, I said I wouldn't sell it for less than 10,000.00 because like I said I like the jeep. they said sold and wrote me a check. there I stood with my mouth open, so yeah the jeep is sold. I reserved a bronco just for fun back in july, and friday I put the order in for a new 2 door badlands area 51 bronco. the wife doesn't know this yet lol. yeah it'll be probably close to a year before I get it so I guess I will start making payments to myself now so I will not have as much to pay when it finally gets here. I already miss the jeep but I am looking forward to my new gen6.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I can relate to that story, this past spring a co worker asked if I'd consider selling my 67 gmc that I DD. I said sure and a number was thrown out and the next thing I know I had stack of cash and no truck.... but I replaced it with Jeep J truck. I have the same deal, if it won't fit in the garage do I really need it...LOL.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I can relate to that story, this past spring a co worker asked if I'd consider selling my 67 gmc that I DD. I said sure and a number was thrown out and the next thing I know I had stack of cash and no truck.... but I replaced it with Jeep J truck. I have the same deal, if it won't fit in the garage do I really need it...LOL.

yeah, need and want. I have my 2018 f150 lariat, my 65 mustang and my 71 bronco. no I don't need a new Bronco lol, I didn't need the jeep. I just want it lol. and heck my kids are out of the house, I am paying into my retirement fund every month, I have life insurance, and I will pay off my daughters jeep cherokee I bought for her to go to college with before the new bronco gets here, and I have basically finished stage 2 of this bronco build so I am no longer pouring money down an endless hole there lol. so I can afford it. so why not. I am really excited about this bronco. can't wait to get it. If it comes in in time I would like to take both of them to moab for the next bronco safari. the new one on the trail, the 71 more for show.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I have been driving my bronco all over. it has not really snowed here yet, and while its a bit chilly with the bikini top on its not bad. anyway I have been having a ball with it and getting pretty comfortable with it, beginning to think I had all the bugs worked out of it, and so I was hotrodding around town the other day and heard this loud bang. broke my rear ujoint. had to call the wife to bring me a wrench. disconnected the rear driveshaft and drove it home ion the front shaft. so now I get to figure out why it broke and fix it. I am ordering a heavy duty drive shaft from wild horses and a torque tamer from Duff. I also found out my leaf spring shackle u bolts had loosened up a bit. I torqued them when I put them on, but I guess I forgot to retorque them after 500 miles. I will also recheck my pinion angle once I get the new shaft. anyway more ways to have fun with the bronco.

Ta5V4F7.jpg

RZXJGcX.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well a bummer way to end/start the day for sure! Glad you figured the driving-on-the-front angle. Sure makes losing a driveshaft easier to take!

Definitely check the angle, like you said. It could be the loose u-bolts were part of the problem, but maybe not. About how many miles have you put on it so far? And was the u-joint new or the old one? Grease it lately?

Get it back on the road soon and have more fun!

Paul

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Only about 1500 miles on this. New driveshaft. I greased it when I installed it. But not since. I think it’s probably too much axle wrap is the issue but I’m not sure. I suppose I could have overtightened the u bolts also. Idk. I’ll just recheck everything when I put it back together
Well a bummer way to end/start the day for sure! Glad you figured the driving-on-the-front angle. Sure makes losing a driveshaft easier to take!

Definitely check the angle, like you said. It could be the loose u-bolts were part of the problem, but maybe not. About how many miles have you put on it so far? And was the u-joint new or the old one? Grease it lately?

Get it back on the road soon and have more fun!

Paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Axle wrap would be my first guess. Look at the spring purch and make sure the front edges didn’t bend, probably not an issue but have seen it happen. Very rarely does a ujoint fail that wasn’t in a bind from spring wrap.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Axle wrap would be my first guess. Look at the spring purch and make sure the front edges didn’t bend, probably not an issue but have seen it happen. Very rarely does a ujoint fail that wasn’t in a bind from spring wrap.
That’s my guess also

jmhend

Bronco Guru
That’s my guess also
Well, bummer it broke but I will say. Your lucky it was the rear joint and not the front one (especially at any speed). X3 on the axle wrap. I bet it was due to the ubokts being loose.

Glad your driving it A LOT

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Well, bummer it broke but I will say. Your lucky it was the rear joint and not the front one (especially at any speed). X3 on the axle wrap. I bet it was due to the ubokts being loose.

Glad your driving it A LOT

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I plan to triple check everything. I have all the parts to put it together. I had to have trigger finger surgery last monday, and so I have been trying to be good this past week. I have a friend coming over saturday and we will try to get the torque tamer on and get the new driveshaft in place so I can measure the pinion angle. I am not sure how tight I should torque the ubolts on the u-joint. I have just always used a calibrated tug and made them pdt (pretty darn tight) with a 1/2 inch wrench and I have never had one fail before so I don't think I over tightened them. the loose ubolts on the springs likely contributed, and the axle wrap also. I will make sure and get the u joints greased really well, and just see what happens I guess. I have to say, the duff torque tamer is a nice looking piece. dang Duff makes some good stuff.

tf7LO3P.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Double check the torque anyway. It’s something fairly light in the 12 to 15 pound range I believe. I’ll try to look it up later, but it’s worth checking.

PDT depends on the person. I bet most would get it right about in that range with a wrench. But I know some people that could literally twist one of those U-bolts into a pretzel with the same tool.😉

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Per the old Chilton's book: The U-joint U-bolts are 10 to 17 ft/lbs.
The bolts for the CV/double-cardan head are 20 to 25 ft/lbs.

Looking at my Hayne's, I'm just glad that when I got started in this business I used Chilton's first!
They quote 90-110 lbs for the rear u-joint! And in one sentence they call the yoke a yoke, while in the diagrams they refer to it as a flange. Nothing like consistency...
They also list a u-joint to rear axle "adapter" whatever that is. But at least we know it gets torqued to 60-70lbs.

Either all of that is for a specialty shaft on a heavy truck, or it's in inch/pounds. Or it's just another of many typos...
So I'll stick to the Chilton's 10 - 17 lbs.

Paul

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I temporarily installed my new tom woods driveshaft from wild horses. in doing so I discovered that the yoke tab that holds the ujoint cap on is broken. most likely an effect of the failure not the cause but I will have to replace the yoke. not a problem I had planned to do that anyway. just eyeballing the driveline angle it looks pretty good to me. what do you all think? I think if I put 6 degree shims in there it will be too much. what do you think. I am not sure if I am measuring the angle properly. I got the two angle finders like I read I was supposed to use, but I am not sure I am using them correctly.

QQO6Hm1.jpg

tly38MC.jpg

jDzg6Xd.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can’t really see the angle reading from here. What are they, and on what exactly is the pinion gauge sitting?

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I can’t really see the angle reading from here. What are they, and on what exactly is the pinion gauge sitting?
the readings are 18 and 10, the one is sitting directly on the driveshaft body. I think it is pretty accurate. the other is sitting on the yoke of the diff. but I am not sure how square the yoke is.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
With the drive shaft at 18 the pinion should be at 16. However if you do not have vibrations I wouldn’t worry about. Next disclaimer… it is very possible without the torque tamer it is aligning just fine from a small amount of spring wrap, once the bar is installed it may begin to vibrate.

No this did not contribute to the breakage, it actually helped prevent it by allowing 8* more spring wrap before it grenaded the ujoint. The broken retainer is a result of the failed joint. As a quick fix so you can drive waiting on parts you can weld a washer or small piece of scrap in there to hold the joint in.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
With the drive shaft at 18 the pinion should be at 16. However if you do not have vibrations I wouldn’t worry about. Next disclaimer… it is very possible without the torque tamer it is aligning just fine from a small amount of spring wrap, once the bar is installed it may begin to vibrate.

No this did not contribute to the breakage, it actually helped prevent it by allowing 8* more spring wrap before it grenaded the ujoint. The broken retainer is a result of the failed joint. As a quick fix so you can drive waiting on parts you can weld a washer or small piece of scrap in there to hold the joint in.
Thanks. I actually already had a new yoke I am going to go get a new crush washer today then I’ll be able to swap the yoke when I pull the duff to install the torque tamer. Also is there enough slip yoke left?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
To me the shaft looks a little long but hard to tell. As long as it is not crushing the seal and or knocking the plug out of the end of the slip yolk it is fine.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
To me the shaft looks a little long but hard to tell. As long as it is not crushing the seal and or knocking the plug out of the end of the slip yolk it is fine.
yeah, I can see that as well