• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor wire?

HollywoodC

Happy Eater All,
Can someone please tell me if this wire is suppose to go from my carburetor to my starter relay? If it is not suppose to go to the relay then where does it go to, if it goes anywhere? Also, what wires need to go to the two small posts on the starter relay?

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys their Easter with family and friends.
Chet

Attachments

• carburetor 1.jpg
    carburetor 1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 34
  • carburetor 2.jpg
    carburetor 2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 36

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
There are two small posts on the starter relay. the "S" post is the start wire that comes from the ignition switch to start the engine. the "I" post is the ignition bypass that goes to the + side on the coil to feed the iginition a full 12v when cranking while starting. nothing goes to the carb (elect choke) from the starter solinoid. there is a wire in the engine harness that comes out of the loom just about 6-8 inches from the firewall with a rubber boot on it that is the feed for the elect choke.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, it should go to the "s" or "sta" terminal on the alternater.
There should be a wire from the solenoid that goes to the ignition to bypass the ballast resister during crank. Welcome to the world of wonderful wiring screw ups.

What they were trying to do was use ignition power to open the choke. that pulls power away from the ignition system. The ballast resistor is there to limit current to the ignition coil. By adding extra load (the choke) you take that limited power away from the ignition system to open the choke. But the bigger screw up, the bypass wire that they are trying to use to steel power isn't even hooked up. So the whole thing is wrong. That electric choke isn't getting power to open exept during crank.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No, it should go to the "s" or "sta" terminal on the alternater.
There should be a wire from the solenoid that goes to the ignition to bypass the ballast resister during crank. Welcome to the world of wonderful wiring screw ups.

What they were trying to do was use ignition power to open the choke. that pulls power away from the ignition system. The ballast resistor is there to limit current to the ignition coil. By adding extra load (the choke) you take that limited power away from the ignition system to open the choke. But the bigger screw up, the bypass wire that they are trying to use to steel power isn't even hooked up. So the whole thing is wrong. That electric choke isn't getting power to open exept during crank.

Exactly right, even down to the missing brown bypass wire.