• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor Gasket Sealent

OP
OP
F

f2502011

I used chassis grease on a new gasket and reassembled. We’ll see. Hope that’s ok to use it’s what I had lying around.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Brakes are manual. Only thing using a port on the vac block is the trans modulator. Other port is capped.
If the grease trick doesn't work be sure and check the T area. You can cap both ports with new caps for testing.

Don't you have a vacuum line going to the distributor? Again, you can cap at the manifold for testing.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’d do a vacuum leak check of line to modulator with a mighty vac thing.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

Any oil use issues? Intake leak from the valley.
I haven’t noticed any oil use issues but it’s not driven enough to be noticeable. There was no oil inside the intake when I pulled the carb. However there was a small amount in one of the valleys on top of the intake manifold near the middle of the engine right below the carb.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I had to use something, I would use some grease. Yes, grease the gasket. It will seal a leak. If the leak is really bad you will see the blow trail in the grease as you take it apart.
I was advised to use chapstick in a reusable carb gasket. Grease makes much better sense.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, Chapstick is a classic!
It’s probably mostly petroleum jelly anyway. Close cousin to grease and about as neutral as chemicals get.