• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side mirror options.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I found a thread several years old on installing Jeep CJ style mirrors on the windshield frame of a Bronco, looked like a nice setup and I was planning to do it. (I'm running doorless and no cage yet, not many mounting options.)

(LINK)

Anyway, does anyone know the best ones to get, that won't quickly rust up or start flopping? I'm not getting good reviews on the Rugged Ridge brand that seems to make most of the aftermarket mirrors for Jeep's.

I need to get some mirrors on this thing to be legal, any suggestions?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure what brand of CJ mirrors I bought I have the same setup. Mine flopped from the first day I got them. The ball/socket on the back of the mirror is tight and bracket/arm connection is tight but the whole thing is still pretty floppy. It makes me wonder if all mirrors on the older Jeeps are like this just due to the long arm holding the mirror or due to the design of the whole mirror.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I bought a set of jeep mirrors put them on and they looked like hammered puppy poop.

Heres the only picture I have of the mirrors from several years ago before I finished and painted.

Attachments

• 15 bronco thumb.jpg
    15 bronco thumb.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 246

BroncoBrandon

I used superglue on the ball and socket... It woked for about a year till the whole mirror just fell off.

sstclair

I used the smitty builts (as I recall) from 4wheel parts. mounted the brackets through the front of my windshield frame. And pushed the passenger mirror far enough forward to see it through the windshield. I wanted a large mirror so I could put a big blind spot mirror on it. I also re-drilled the tube to aim it up where I wanted it. Things I don't like about them: They look like Jeep mirrors. With soft doors and a cage I couldn't pull the passenger side back far enough to see through and still use the door well at all. One other thing.. I swapped the brackets around so that the flanges all pointed the same way in order to fit well on the frame.
Would I do it again? yes. Would I like a good alternative? yes.
HTH
-Steve

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I havent found any mirrors yet myself. Was looking at some small cheep ones at walmart and the auto parts store for a temporary fix. Maybe just use some velcro on some small round ones. i dont even have a rearview yet! Walmart had some that looked like they would clamp on the door or the windshield frame. You can also just buy the stick on reflective part in many sizes and trim with a scissors to make your own mirror. I afraid to drill any holes until i find a mirror worth mounting.

the problem is when you mount mirrors on the front fenders that someday when you put the doors on the vent window may block the view of the mirrors. If you had a cage you could easly clamp some to the front bars. Im holding off till i get a cage built. The landcruser FJ mirrors are nice but i think there mounted to the door??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Well sounds like the CJ mirrors are mostly crap. I'd rather not pay nearly $50 to mess with it if they are going to flop around. I use my mirrors a lot.

Has anyone tried these? LINK I'm thinking I can clamp it to the door lip ridge on the windshield frame. Not too crazy about the looks, and it's still kind of high for a little mirror, but might work? I'm just trying to get road legal for now. But I do like good mirrors, will eventually have to get something I like.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here is what I did to run mirrors without doors. Very inexpensive, quick to install, store it in your console when not in use, adjustable, it works, and most of all it keeps the bronco legal with side view mirrors.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91599

attachment.php

jms5580

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Are we talking about flopping or vibrating? They aren't perfect by any means, but I think they are as good as it gets for what is available. I wanted to be able to fold down the windshield so mine is mounted on the side. If that's not an issue, consider front mount.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Well I went to town determined I wouldn't come back till I found something. I stopped at 3 Napa's, the Dollar Store, Advance Auto, and I tried my favorite Junkyard but they were closed. Last stop, Wal-Mart.

I came up with this (see pics) in the automotive aisle, quick and cheap (Under $5) but I'm sure it won't be for long term. I also scored a Blue Jada Bronco a few isles over, but that is besides the point. ;D

Anyway I had to pop out the mirror part gently, that gave me access to the 2 screws holding the attachment bracket on. Took those out, rotated the bracket 180, put it back together. Then it was oriented correctly to fit on the windshield frame lip. I also had to bend the bracket together so it was close enough to tighten up the screws and actually clamp on. It's reasonably secure for now.

This and the glue kit I got for the center rear view mirror and I'm thinking I'm road legal now. Didn't see anything in the KY revised Statues dictating mirror size, and it's convex so I can see a pretty good area despite the size.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll go with something else later, maybe the CJ mirrors, I do think they look okay, just don't like the flopping idea, my Dad had a Ranger where the mirror wouldn't stay, you hit 55 and it would smack the window. Very annoying. :-X

Attachments

• IMG_1918_800_600.JPG
    IMG_1918_800_600.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1917_800_600.JPG
    IMG_1917_800_600.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1913_450_600.JPG
    IMG_1913_450_600.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1910_800_600.JPG
    IMG_1910_800_600.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 133

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
You dirty dog!!! them are the exact ones i saw at wally world and was thinking of using!! (I told you to check there). Here im minnesota there is no size requirement, just says you have to be able to see 200 feet behind the vehicle.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
You dirty dog!!! them are the exact ones i saw at wally world and was thinking of using!! (I told you to check there).

Indeed you did, probably stuck in my head somewhere but I forgot where it came from. I should have just done like you suggested first, saved me some running around. ;D

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I wonder if they would work with the doors on?? Probably cant see them through the wing window?

I run doors most of the time but have no mirrors yet. I like that with them you can pull doors and clamp on. When doors go back on you can throw them back in the glovebox.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I wonder if they would work with the doors on?? Probably cant see them through the wing window?

You could close the door, it mounts on the outside rain drip ridge so it's not in the way, but I don't think you could still see it. I'm not sure. It's awful small so even the door frame might block it.

I sure didn't mean to come off like I stole your idea, sorry if it looked like that.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Im glad you did! Now i know they will work! Im off to buy one myself today!:cool: Did you put one on the pass side also? Does it vibrate alot when driving??

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Scratch closing the door on them, I looked at them again and the mirror is in the way. Haven't put one on the pass side, thought about it but being so small I was just going to use a standard center mirror on the windshield.

Haven't driven with it yet, probably will soon though.

bronco-13

I used these. Looked for a long time as well. Made for a Jeep, but work very well on a Bronco.

photo.jpg

Barrett

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Got 3 of the same walmart mirrors today but mounted them on top of the windshield frame. Poped the glass out, flattened the bracket out, drilled a 1/4" hole, reversed the bracket, and poped the glass back in. Now i have rearview and side view mirrors!!

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 57