• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal Canister and carb ( can't find anything on using Edelbrock 1406 )

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Did tons of searches, got it all figured out yet one thing. There is 4 ports on my canister (see pic ) Little one to gas tank, Large far right one to air cleaner, other Large one in middle mushroom capped, and the medium one left is suppose to go to your carb bowl vent. is this correct?

now for my question, the edelbrock 1406 doesn't have a bowl vent as it vents through the air cleaner. Does this mean I plug, or mushroom cap, or do what with that Medium sized port left over.

Attachments

• 31344H8P1BL.jpg
    31344H8P1BL.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 36

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
For that type of canister, the smallest port goes to vapor from tank. Next bigger one is the purge (gets sucked into air cleaner). The 2 large ports get mushroom caps to allow fresh air in.

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Okay sounds good, if I am using that separator bottle from behind the drivers seat there, does that hook to the canister or the canister directly to gas tank vent like you said. I have read "Plastic Bottle Under Panel behind Driver's Seat " and it seems as if the bottle is connected to the canister instead of the tank.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Okay sounds good, if I am using that separator bottle from behind the drivers seat there, does that hook to the canister or the canister directly to gas tank vent like you said. I have read "Plastic Bottle Under Panel behind Driver's Seat " and it seems as if the bottle is connected to the canister instead of the tank.

If you have the bottle use it. Bottle connects to tank(s), canister connects to bottle. If you mount the canister high enough you don't need the bottle but it would be a good idea to add a roll over valve in that case.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
here are a few diagrams that may help, if you have the frame mounted charcoal cannister.

Attachments

• charcoal_73_emission.jpg
    charcoal_73_emission.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
  • emission_sealed_cap.jpg
    emission_sealed_cap.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 106
  • evap_bottle.jpg
    evap_bottle.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 97
  • evap_diagram.jpg
    evap_diagram.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Wow thank you very much, those diagrams are great. Hope someone can find use for this carb thread in the future. Thanks a bunch guys

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personally, if you already have one of your large fittings connected to the air cleaner housing, I would just cap off the medium sized one instead.
Even though the canister you're using is the later '76/'77 style (as well as many other vehicles) and in those years would have used the bowl-vent tube connector, the Broncos of previous years would have just used one of the large ones to the air-cleaner and called it a day.

Is yours an early '76 by any chance? If not, then perhaps a PO at some point had just replaced the early frame mounted one with the later one and plumbed it similarly.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and if you ever need to replace the carb and want to retain all the functionality of the stock setup, there is, or at least was an Edelbrock model that had the bowl vent tube.
I have one on my 400, but purchased it awhile ago, so don't know if it's still available.

Paul