• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Barn Find Restomod Build

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Very nice fab work. This will be one solid, rust proofed EB. If Ford only knew the extent some would go to repair, they may have been a little kinder in relation to rust proofing......nah.

broncorick

I liked one of the guys old comments "the least ordered option ordered by new Bronco buyers was rust proofing" :)

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other obligations have gotten in the way but I was able to spend some time on it this week. FINALLY finished all the metal prep (not the block sanding of the outer metal) and was able to shoot the first coat of KBS Rustseal primer mixed with ceramic microspheres. In theory the spheres are supposed to reduce noise and heat, but I'm doing lizard skin also because it gets hot here. Need 2 hours to dry before the second coat. It's an interesting finish, kind of like suede (or rhino liner). After the second coat I'll shoot DPLf 40 so I can shoot over it later with Lizard skin and paint after I do the seam sealer along everything. Ford Strokers called, my motor will be finished next week. But the heat is coming to AZ so I'm ether going to have to get an A/C for the garage or limit my work for a while.

Attachments

• rsz_img_5613.jpg
    rsz_img_5613.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 749
  • rsz_img_5616.jpg
    rsz_img_5616.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 731
  • rsz_img_5617_2.jpg
    rsz_img_5617_2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 847
  • rsz_img_5619.jpg
    rsz_img_5619.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 771
  • rsz_img_5618.jpg
    rsz_img_5618.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Very nice work! You are traveling long the same route I have planned for mine, though I have changed my mind quite a bit from the day I bought it. I am anxious to hear how you like the NV3550 and se the final product. I got to ride in one of Nicks broncos with the 3550 as well as the auto with 347's in front. Both were very peppy (speaking from the passenger seat) and the WH lift and bilsteins rode awesome compared to the stock suspension. Not too stiff, not mushy, just right. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very nice work! You are traveling long the same route I have planned for mine, though I have changed my mind quite a bit from the day I bought it. I am anxious to hear how you like the NV3550 and se the final product. I got to ride in one of Nicks broncos with the 3550 as well as the auto with 347's in front. Both were very peppy (speaking from the passenger seat) and the WH lift and bilsteins rode awesome compared to the stock suspension. Not too stiff, not mushy, just right. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Nicks is a total inspiration. I can't wait to try the 347 and I did the WH 2.5 SL and 1 BL with bilsteins so I'm glad to hear you liked the ride!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Nick is a good friend and I only wish I lived closer to him so I could drop by his place more often. His work is second to none in my opinion. Knowing that the tolerances these vehicles were built with and those that obsess with perfect gaps and lines means there is tons of work just to get them close to perfect. I've seen what Nick can do with a completely clapped out EB and I was just amazed. The tips that he shares are based on years of experiences restoring these machines of beauty. Seeing what you have done so far ( first by scoring an EB in awesome shape) and the work you have done, you deserve a pat on the back. I am envious. Like I said before you are on the path I want to travel as soon as I get my 73 in my shop. ( Must finish sons B2 first) Our broncos share the same build date (9/72) so kind of a bronco cousin thing here. Lol

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Ceramic microspheres!! Dammit, I knew I forgot something...now I've gotta start over!

Great job, AZ!

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ceramic microspheres!! Dammit, I knew I forgot something...now I've gotta start over!

Great job, AZ!

Naw, you did a perfect restoration. You wouldn't want to have messed up the texture of your paint inside and underneath. Mine is a clean restomod so I didn't have a problem trying it, plus the lizard skin (or Al's) will cover it.

You're getting close!!!! I can't wait to see it in person. I probably only need another year for mine. uggg.

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well Fordstrokers called May 10th and said my motor would be here the next week. I got a call and email yesterday saying they just started it. I asked for proof of life and here's what I got. They promised to ship it next Tuesday but now I asked them to delay shipping a week since I don't have the room at the moment. I'm starting to think I should have just hired Nick to do all the work, but I REALLY want a "Built not Bought" sticker on it! You can't see it from the pix, but inside there is:

Dart SHP Machined Block
Scat 4340 Forged Steel 3.400 Crankshaft
Scat 4340 Forged Steel H Beam Connecting Rods 5.400
Wiseco 2618 Forged Pistons (Flat, TFS) 4.030
Wiseco GFX Ring Package
Clevite 77 Main Bearings
Clevite 77 Rod Bearings
Clevite 77 Cam Bearings
Screw in Oil Galley Plugs
Fel Pro Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs
FordStrokers Custom HYD Roller Billet Camshaft
SA Gear Billet Timing Chain with Torrington Bearing
Melling Oil Pump M68
ARP Oil Pump Bolts
Moroso Oil Pump Pick Up - 24519
ARP Billet Oil Pumpshaft
Fel Pro 1 Piece Pan Gasket
Moroso 7qt Oil Pan - 20521
Timing Chain Cover - Early for Eccentric
Fel Pro Timing Chain Cover Gasket

The heads will be:
TEA Twisted Wedge 170 Cylinder Heads 61cc
Comp Cams HYD Roller Lifters
4130 Chromemoly .080 Wall 1 Piece Formed End
Pushrods
Comp Cams Ultra Gold Rocker Arms 1.6
Fel Pro 9333 Head Gaskets
ARP Head Bolts

I wanted performance AND durability. Yeah, I know, a 351 might have done just as well, but I wanted a stroker to bring up the torque, yet not be a torque monster like a 408.

Attachments

• baldridge1.jpg
    baldridge1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 294

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
If that was the engine they started, then I know a lot less about engines than I thought!

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And it's done! Unsure about the RPM air gap intake as it adds about an inch, but I have an inch BL so...... Jim Woods claims it will benefit performance.

Attachments

• baldridge2.jpg
    baldridge2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Christmas in June! The 347 arrives! I'm proud of the "Made in the USA" badge on the intake. Now I just have to catch up to Fireball on the bodywork and paint.

Attachments

• 347.JPG
    347.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks to Nick's quality standards I'm behind schedule again, but the results will be worth it. It's tough keeping within distance of the best! Never thought about zincing nuts/bolts, pedals etc, but 2 boxes of parts went in yesterday for a nice yellow coating.

Attachments

• Zinc 1.JPG
    Zinc 1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Oh a Ford Strokers engine! I'm VERY jealous, what are the specs on that cam? I had an engine built with similar specs and I'm curious on what power levels they say it should make (as they should know).

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The cam is based on the 347, TEA prepped TF heads, 4:11, 33s, 4500 lbs. It's similar to a Comp Cam XE256H but the duration isn't as long. I asked for the torque to come in low and while the intake is an Airgap RPM with a 1500-6500 RPM range, with the heads and cam it will actually shift it down about 500 RPM. Jim's suggesting 400+ HP but didn't suggest a torque. We're figuring torque at about 425+ at the crank. The motor was actually built for durability instead of extreme performance.

Attachments

• Cam.jpg
    Cam.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
nice touch

These would be a nice touch on those zinc plated pedal arms. ;D

Thanks to Nick's quality standards I'm behind schedule again, but the results will be worth it. It's tough keeping within distance of the best! Never thought about zincing nuts/bolts, pedals etc, but 2 boxes of parts went in yesterday for a nice yellow coating.